Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a regular day to day basis my kitties eat canned & raw. I like to have regular kibble for tossing treats around for them and for Apple to play her Nina Ottoson (sp) game. Also, if I've got to go away overnight Apple won't come out to eat the food put out by the person who stops in to see them for me so I put a tiny bowl of kibble near where she hides (and out of Pedro's reach) for her to nibble.

Here is my dilemna. It must be grain free. Easy. It must be free of chicken & duck. Not so easy. Cannot be venison, lamb, nor rabbit - according to Apple these are not food for kitties. lol She only eats chicken and beef. It makes for interesting mealtimes now since they must be supervised! So preferably a beef or even bison kibble if one exists.

Pedro has seemed sluggish all summer which I just attributed to the heat & humidity. Well about a week and a half ago he developed projectile vomit whenever he eats chicken (and I think duck so we're avoiding it too) within about 15 min of finishing. Thank goodness he LOVES beef, venison, duck, rabbit, lamb. Within 24 hrs of stopping chicken he's cheery and not been sick since - I guess his sluggishness all summer was just plain not feeling well in addition to the heat. :(

So I guess that's my requirements.
- Grain free
- No chicken or duck
- No venison, lamb nor rabbit

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I know of no beef or bison only quality kibble. You don't mention anything about fish being a problem. Not the best thing to feed on a regular basis, but it seems like the only choice. Lots of choices in fish only...off the top of my head...Orijen, Acana, EVO, Taste of the Wild to start...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I didn't realize that Orijen had a fish only version. They have had the version with fish & poultry in the past. I'll check it out at the local store! Thanks :) Hopefully the drama queen (Apple) will approve of a new flavour. lol

And I agree not great on a regular basis, but as this will be 1-2 times a week treats (perhaps half a dozen kibble for each of them) and 2-3 weekends a year at most and the weekends are Apple only so I won't worry too much about it. I'd rather her get some nutrition rather than absolutely nothing. I had to toss half of the last sample sized bag I bought after 3 months still not used up so they really don't get much at all.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them each a try.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
1) Evo Herring and Salmon, comes in 1kg pack too.
2) Acana fish is called Acana Pacifica, but smallest bag is 2.5kg, unless they still have them at 400gm.
3) Addiction Salmon Bleu, smallest bag is 4lb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts