Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been attempting to transition my cat to wet food and so far it has been failing. I have tried two brands so far which has been Authority and Blue Buffalo. I have been leaning towards the chicken and the turkey flavors. Recently, I discovered a nearby locally owned shop which carries quality cat foods who have not undergone recalls. Their prices are competitive to PetsMart and Petco! They also offer 10% off if bought in bulk. :)

So for the heck of it I went in there and picked up two small cans of Wellness tuna and salmon. My cat DEVOURED the small portion of salmon I gave him to sample. It was my understanding that fish should be limited but why?

Knowing it is a flavor thing with him and not the texture, I was considering getting some sort of flavor with fish but not primarily fish. Feeding that until he seems more accepting of canned foods. Though, he may love the taste of anything Wellness, who knows!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had trouble transitioning from kibble to canned as well. Keep in mind that it may be a texture thing as well as flavor. Banjo didn't like wellness or blue wilderness, but loved avoderm (Avoderm is chunks of chicken in gravy, as apposed to pate). I mixed the avoderm with the other brands, and now that he is used to it and no longer addicted to the crunchy kibble, he will eat anything. And if you can find EVO, their Turkey & Chicken formula has a small amount of salmon meal, and it does smell a bit fishy. So it may appeal to his tastes, without having too much fish. Good Luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understood was that it was not to be the main source of protein and should be a treat. I do not want to keep him on fish long-term that's for sure. I will check out EVO. I think they offered this as well. However, I should note this can he sampled was sliced with gravy instead of the pate that he's been given in the past.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Are you sure it's not a texture thing? Some cats like pate, and some like chunks or slices in gravy. I guess they like to be able to chew their food :wink It's great that you've found something he likes though! When I finally got Sassy to eat her wet food I was over the moon with happiness.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Glad you found a few that he likes! My cat also prefers the foods with gravy vs. pate kinds. Check out Weruva foods. They have several chicken varieties that are real winners in my house -- she goes nuts over them. I believe the same company also makes the Soulistic brand that's sold at Petco. Also, she likes Natural Balance pouches which is cubed style with gravy. Just a few other suggestions to try for variety.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the same problem with Meeca, my other 3 cat's will eat any flavour of wet food & are now eaten small amount's of raw meat mixed in to their canned

but Meeca is still only eating real Tuna/ocean fish canned food, yesterday we had good progress as she did eat a very tiny amount of other canned food that I hid under her tuna previously she would not touch even the tuna if it has anything else in it

so my advise is not to worry in the short term just very small step's adding a lil bit of other canned to the fish food at every meal & your cat WILL get there in the end :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
ya well been feeding him salmon every meal...bought some chicken but he doesnt eats it at all, only finished up the gravy...hence i fed him his salmon again as im worried he will be hungry...
going to source for other food alternatives at the pet store later~
Btw my sis bought 1 huge bag of dry food...but now that i know dry isnt good for them...but can i still feed him occasionally?
Throwing away really seems......
If i feed him occasionally small amount of dry food will it be ok?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
ya well been feeding him salmon every meal...bought some chicken but he doesnt eats it at all, only finished up the gravy...
It's very addictive to cats and some will have to be weaned off the fish flavors. You may have to start adding small amounts of the chicken to the salmon and then increasing those amounts slowly until he's not getting any fish at all.

Btw my sis bought 1 huge bag of dry food...but now that i know dry isnt good for them...but can i still feed him occasionally?
Throwing away really seems......
If i feed him occasionally small amount of dry food will it be ok?
We have other members who give tiny amounts of kibble as treats at some point in the day or before bed.

Btw, you wouldn't have to throw it away. I'm sure there are plenty of rescue organizations around you that would appreciate it. Our local food pantry even accepts pet food to send home with needy families.

·
Registered
317 Posts
We do kibble at night, ever since we got Pinky. She only eats a little every few hours at night so dinner is a little kibble that she can snack on through the night. The rest is wet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe you all could help me a little.

A few weeks ago, I noticed my 1.5 year old cat was having trouble in the litter box. At first I thought it was constipation, then after researching, I decided he was having problems peeing. I took him to the vet where they thought it was more cystitis rather than a UTI. They gave him an antibiotic shot and sent him home with a three-day course of pain killers as well as a glucosamine pill to sprinkle on his food.

First, he refuses all food with the glucosamine on it.

I have taken him and my other cat off of dry food completely (they were getting both canned and kibble). I'm adding water to his canned food because I have not seen him drink any water in months. I have a fountain and I'm pretty sure he's afraid of it.

So things were going well. Several feedings of canned food a day, water dishes all over the house in hope he starts drinking that, I found another glucosamine treat that he likes and gets twice a day. He's been frisky and happy and everything.

But, he's now thrown up three times in three days (Wed night, Thurs nigh and this morning). Yet after throwing up this morning, he ate again.

I'm feeding a variety of canned foods: Fussie Cat, Evangers, WeRuVa, and others--all premium foods. I've been trying to stay away from fish based foods (but those ARE his favorite). He doesn't eat much of the foods that are bird or beef based--he'll lick up a little of the water I put on there and walk away and then the other cat (who is really still a kitten) will eat the rest. I usually have to sit and watch them both eat to make sure he eats enough and doesn't feel pushed away by the kitten.

Any ideas why he's suddenly throwing up? It's nothing but food (I don't think he's having a hairball issue). Any suggestions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts