Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat mostly likes wet food..what's the best types of can food to my cat who JUST came back lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
Tell us how you got her back and how's she's doing? I've been checking back to see if you found her. Will she stay inside now?
Great news! I'm so happy she's back!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell us how you got her back and how's she's doing? I've been checking back to see if you found her. Will she stay inside now?
Great news! I'm so happy she's back!
She's going to be an indoor cat now. Ill take her out under my own eye the whole time though. When she does go I don't want it like that...

She actually just came up onto the deck...about 30 minutes after I was searching. I came in went down stairs it was dark out and I heard a loud meow at the screen door I opened and she came running in and everyone was stunned. She ate almost a can of food which is a good sign and I gave her a lot of fluids. She is very thin but that should change once the nutrients from the food and fluids get into her im hoping.

She will be sleeping in my room tonight lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh that is the best news! I bet your holding her tightly tonight! I wonder if she heard you looking for her and thats how she found her way back to you. I'm glad you didn't give up. You might take her to the vet tomorrow to see if she needs intravenous fluids? She might be dehydrated.
So happy for you both!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's resting peacefully in my bed right beside me lol I actually give her fluids by myself. I'm pretty good with the needle I have to get my mom to relax her tho.

And I'll be shopping for good food for her tomorrow. Right now I feed her basic wet food

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wish I could help you with food suggestions but im sure someone with lots of experience with kidney issues will chime in to help you out.
I love happy endings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The support here has been great... I thank you...

Friskie is looking better all the time. She seems to be happy to be inside out of the damp, cool, wet nights we've been having here lately

·
Registered
889 Posts
The number one thing to really consider when choosing a "kidney diet" is...

Feed a food the cat WILL eat!

Kidney issues can cause appetite loss, which can lead to further dehydration. The most important thing is to get food/liquid INTO the kitty, not faff about for days trying to "force" her to eat special "kidney diets".

You do want to watch out for phosphorus, but there is very little evidence that cats with renal failure "need" reduced-protein diets. There is, in fact, evidence that a low-protein diet can harm elderly kitties by leading to muscle loss and wasting.

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

This website is absolutely the best place to start for information about renal failure in cats. She has a huge section on foods and considerations when it comes to food.

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Which Foods to Feed, and Which to Avoid

Basically the gist of it is -

Feed whatever food your cat will eat, and mix warm water into the food with every meal so your cat gets some extra liquid. My cat happily accepts "thick soup" texture.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's eating fairly well so I'm guessing thats a good indication she isn't feeling that yucky? We are probably going to give her IV Fluids the next 3 days or so. I'm going shopping today and my goal is to find high quality protein, higher potassium and omega fatty acids and lower phophorus and sodium.

The cat has big eyes, doesn't look very tired meowing, purring. I'm going to watch how much she is urinating though cause she should be doing that more than she has been I think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the bag it says "lactated fingers injection usp.. Sterile nonpyrogenic. For intervanous use. Single dose.

"100ml sodium lactate anhydrous 0.31 g sodium 0.6g potassium chloride 0.3g calcium chloride dihydrate 0.2g pH adjusted with hydrochloride acid or sodium hydroxide. Fluid and elecrolite replenisher"

So whatever all that jazz means is what I've been given to take home to use on her in emergencies or over the course of days if she's very dehydrated

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
IV means that you are injecting the fluid directly into a vein. That is almost always performed by a vet. SubQ means that you are injecting the fluid just under the skin. That is frequently done by the caretaker at home. Lactated Ringers can be administered either way. I assume you are administering it subQ rather than IV at home.

Laurie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I'm just poking it under the skin around the neck and putting about 100 or 150 ML in. Creates a bag or bubble. So yeah not the vein. She's never had an IV then.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Felidae is NOT low in phosphorus!

The .20 you are seeing is NOT the "dry matter basis", which is the only important consideration.

If you open their detailed nutritional analysis, you'll see that the dry matter basis listing for phosphorus is 1.05%, which is high.

FELIDAE Grain Free pureSEA™ canned formula Nutrient Analysis

Cat food companies seem to design their labels to trick the consumer, as they RARELY list anything by dry matter basis!

You'll want to refer to Tanya's canned-food tables here:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA

She has listed most of the major brands of canned food with the dry matter basis already calculated out for you.

Hi-Tor Neo is a fantastic food for CRF cats -

http://www.triumphpet.com/hitor/hitor/hitor.pdf

It's the only "CRF-diet" food that my cat will touch at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ugh frustrating. That food you mentioned I don't know if we have it here, should I buy online?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually after doing some research while maintaining non low protein diets that's right around the "good" area. Lowest I've seen has been .90 dry and good area from 1.00-1.10 with highs going closer to 1.15-1.40

1 - 17 of 17 Posts