Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The animal hospital vet just admitted Mia, our cat, for a 4 day course of unasyn injections and i-stat electrolytes due to very high kidney levels (when she had a UTI 18 months ago, the level was 3+, now it's 10). I brought Mia in because she wasn't eating. She's 13 yo.

The vet says she's encouraged because Mia responded well to antibiotics when she had the UTI, but we'll know better after a day or two. The treatment is very pricey, but Mia is an excellent cat.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bet once her kidney levels get in control she will feel much better. I think when cats have a UTI bad stuff can build up in the blood....waste products..etc...I bet you will be amazed at the change.....It sounds like you have a really good vet. Is unasyn some sort of new antibiotic?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
The animal hospital vet just admitted Mia, our cat, for a 4 day course of unasyn injections and i-stat electrolytes due to very high kidney levels
Looks like your vet is thinking this is a kidney infection. At least that's what I would assume with the unasyn (antibiotic complex) and high kidney levels.

(when she had a UTI 18 months ago, the level was 3+, now it's 10)
Which level are you talking about, and what is the lab's reference range for that level?.

we'll know better after a day or two.
If Maya improving today? I hope so.

Laurie

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Creatine level - yesterday it was 10+, today it's 9+. Vet says it should be something under 2 normally, but was 3.8 after Mia recovered from a UTI about 18 months ago. From some other websites, this seems extremely high, if not worse. I don't know the lab's reference range. They're testing in-house.

Vet is hoping it's a kidney infection, as that is treatable (hence the unasyn). If not, it doesn't seem clear there is any reasonable treatment option, if I'm understanding correctly. The only other diagnostic option mentioned was an ultrasound.

There was no evidence of infection in a, I believe, urine test, and a culture has not shown anything yet, but vet says it can take a few days for the culture to develop, and sometimes there can be an infection that doesn't show up in tests.

Vet said Mia ate a bit today, which vet said was encouraging.

I visited today. They have a catheter in her left rear leg (with the leg completely wrapped), so that they don't have to stick needles into her too often.

Mia seemed happier at the end of the visit, which is good. Vet said she'd been hissing, which she only does when very agitated.

I guess my question is whether this all sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Creatine level - yesterday it was 10+, today it's 9+. Vet says it should be something under 2 normally, but was 3.8 after Mia recovered from a UTI about 18 months ago.
Has your vet diagnosed Mia with CRF (chronic renal failure)? If her creatinine has been above normal range since she recovered from her last UTI, I would have to assume she is in CRF. Her very high creatinine right now may indicate an acute kidney infection, but the underlying CRF would still be present.

I don't know the lab's reference range. They're testing in-house.
You should ALWAYS request a hard copy of all of Mia's test results so that you can keep them for reference at home. I recommend you ask your vet for copies next time you visit Mia. If they give you something that doesn't include the lab's reference ranges, request them.

Vet is hoping it's a kidney infection, as that is treatable (hence the unasyn). If not, it doesn't seem clear there is any reasonable treatment option, if I'm understanding correctly. The only other diagnostic option mentioned was an ultrasound.
You need to get copies of her urine tests, as well, because that will tell you her USG (urine specific gravity), which is another diagnostic indicator of CRF. Your vet should also check for proteinuria (protein in the urine), if she hasn't already.

CRF is incurable and progressive, but that doesn't mean there's nothing that can be done to improve and prolong Mia's quality of life. Assuming Mia does have CRF, there are many strategies and therapies for managing the disease, its symptoms, and its associated conditions.

Get copies of all of her test results and post them on this thread (be sure to include the lab's reference ranges) so that we can offer more useful insights and suggestions. Once you have the test results so that you know exactly what you're dealing with, you'll be able to research her disease effectively. The best place to do that is at the following link:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Renal Failure

Please post again when you have her results and/or if you have more questions.

Laurie

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We visited today. Mia was much perkier than yesterday. Reportedly she's been eating and has gained a bit of weight.

Crea: 8.5 (down a point from yesterday), ref range 0.6-2.4
USG: 1.011
Proteinuria: no

They were rather hectic today, so it was not feasible to get a copy of the full chart. I'll ask on Monday.

We asked today's vet about expected lifespan. She said if we administered subcutaneous fluids at home Mia would be expected to live several months if creatinine levels don't decline, more if they do.

If Monday's levels are much lower, she recommended keeping Mia for another day or two to continue antibiotics and fluid drip. Vet said she'd love to get creatinine down to 5, but didn't know if that was possible.

Any further thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
We visited today. Mia was much perkier than yesterday. Reportedly she's been eating and has gained a bit of weight.
That's very good news!

Crea: 8.5 (down a point from yesterday), ref range 0.6-2.4
USG: 1.011
Proteinuria: no
Creat coming down is good. No proteinuria is good. USG may or may not be indicative of CRF, depending on whether the urine sample was collected before or after fluid therapy was initiated at the clinic. Once fluids are administered, USG results become unreliable.

We asked today's vet about expected lifespan. She said if we administered subcutaneous fluids at home Mia would be expected to live several months if creatinine levels don't decline, more if they do.
There's a common saying on the CRF Support Mailing List (which I strongly recommend you join), "Treat the cat, not the numbers." There have been a number of cats on the CRF List who have lived very good quality lives for substantial periods of time with high renal blood values. So don't take your vet's "guesstimated lifespan" too much to heart. While such guesstimates may have statistical significance to the entire population of CRF cats, they are meaningless to the individual patient.

CRF caretakers quickly learn to take each day and each symptom as it comes. We don't mark calendars with anticipated death dates. Mia may last days, or she may last years. It's your job to do your best to keep her as healthy as possible during her remaining time, however long that may be. You clearly have great love for Mia. I have no doubt that you're up to the challenges that lie ahead for Mia and yourself in dealing with this disease, and there's a huge online community of CRF caretakers ready and willing to support and guide you through the complex CRF maze.

If Monday's levels are much lower, she recommended keeping Mia for another day or two to continue antibiotics and fluid drip.
Sounds like a reasonable strategy.

Laurie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts