Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got three kits, we're keeping them in a nice big shed (the shed's purpose is solely for the kittens' home, we don't store random stuff in there) because we haven't kitten-proofed the yard yet (they're outdoor kittens, my dad is almost deadly allergic to them). Every time I go in there, they follow me around and think that everything I come in contact with is a toy. This is ok most of the time but when I'm changing the litter box? Really?! They bat at the plastic bag that I put the stuff in, and hang around while I'm doing it. Is that as odd as I think it is? Can I get them to stop? What is your guys' experience with this?8O

·
Registered
88 Posts
Kittens love to be into what you are doing. It is normal and shows that they pay attention to you and enjoy your attention. If it is a bother, you might be able to put them somewhere else while you maintain a clean litterbox. Smokey used to do the same thing but it didnt last long. After a couple months, he would just watch or go into the litterbox to investigate or use it while I scooped. He is still very interested in watching me and waits until I scoop everything out. He will use the box as soon as it is pristine, rather conveniently, then I make the last scoop before closing the bag and taking it to the outside trash. This used to give me a completely fresh litterbox for a few hours. Now, with more than one cat, it may not last as long. lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Housing arrangements for kits

I just got three kits, they're three months old. They're outdoor kits, since my dad is so allergic, and we keep them in a 8 by 10 shed. In the shed we have:
*a big upsidedown box with an entrance cut out, some blankets, and a heated bed-pad (meant for pets)
*a litter box
*a fold-up table for if I go in there and do stuff
*their cat carrier (under the table)
*a couple bowls for food
*a heated water dish (the regular water dish's water kept freezing)
*several toys we made (out of pom-poms, yarn, feathers, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, and hot glue)
*a dim light that always stays on and hangs on the wall
*a workshop tripod light that we turn on during the day and turn off at night (we point it at the ceiling so no one's eyes get burned) and will probably replace eventually for something better
*We'll insulate the walls and floor to keep heat in better soon

We haven't let them out yet because we haven't kitten-proofed the yard all the way (hopefully we'll do that today).

Eventually we'll have an area for them to go into freely, under our deck (it's right next to the shelter and we'd only have to put chickenwire or something up on two sides because it's protected from above and on two other sides) although they'll be in the shed at night.

And when we kitten-proof the yard (which already has a chainlink fence) we can let them out there with supervision. The reason we're taking so many precautions is because we have raptors (eagles, hawks, owls) and foxes and coyotes.

When they hear me coming to feed them, they gather at the door and start meowing. They won't get away from the door and I tell them "NO" and "AWAY" (I'll train them to know what those mean as soon as I get some treats) but of course that doesn't help. Sometimes I kick the door to try to get them away but they're used to loud noises. It's been a problem because they won't get away from the door and sometimes they escape (though since I have food they come right back in). I always try to pet them and play with them a good amount when I get inside though, to make up for my "meanness".

Is there anything wrong with this picture? What can I be doing better?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Maybe you can schedule a playtime to wear them out and distract them with something else before doing the litterbox maintenance. They could use the extra attention.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
My Winston is two and he still checks it out every time I clean the litterboxes. Now instead of playing he watches everything I do. I think he just wants to make sure it is getting done to his standards. :)

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Seems like you have it all planned out very well. A nice kitty living area and a soon to be protected yard area for them. Just make sure they get plenty of human interaction and playtime.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Not ideal but sounds like you're working towards having it become a better environment. I wouldn't allow them outdoors until they are spayed/neutered... how high is your fence? Cats can jump pretty high up. I'd consider two exits (with cat flaps to keep the cold air out) from the shed in case a wild animal comes in looking for food. In fact, due to that concern I'd have scheduled feeding times only where you pick up and remove food after 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Something else very important, any space a cat can fit its head through they can fit the rest of their body through, a kitten could easily fit through your fence. Do not let them outside unless it's supervised until they are much older. They are still curious, obvious little infants.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are planning on getting them fixed in a month or so, but we don't ever let them outside without supervision.
The daytime play-area for without supervision will be closed off in a way that they can't get out and no animal can get in (chicken wire or something), like an extension of their shed with fresh air. And they will always be in the shed at night.
The fence is too tall for them to jump over unless there is something leaning against it, but there are some trees really close to the fence. These kits are super climbers. I'm going to want to wrap the trees close to the fence in a material that they can't climb.

But like I said, they aren't let out without supervision, they always have one or more people watching them when they're out and about.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a thread with details on their living space but not sure where it went, or I'd direct you to it :/ oh well. the people there thought that I did a good job planning their home, though. But thanks for the advice, as always :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts