Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!
I just recently got the most gorgeous kitten, her name is luna and she is the sweetest little thing. My boyfriend and I combined have 6 cats while his mom has 3 dogs. The cats never have access to the dogs. They are upstairs while the cats are downstairs.

His cat piper started balding on the back of her near her tail and we assumed it to be stress due to the new kitten. We soon found out that she had fleas. We treated all the cats for fleas using dawn dish soap and a flea brush to get them all out and we are still doing that daily to get rid of it all.

Luna is very small, the previous owner told us she was 3.5 months but we believe that was not true because she is very tiny. Our oldest cat prue (15+ pounds) doesnt like to be bothered and luna likes to play so prue would often get mad and bite her which we immediately take care of the situation. Other than that prue and luna do sleep together sometimes.

We came downstairs and noticed luna had a big chunk of fur missing on the base of her head near the back. It's down to her skin and its red and I have reason to believe it did bleed a little. I'm not sure what caused this? Was it prue or something else? I have attached pictures but I am unsure how to help her because it looks awful and she keeps scratching at it. She is also licking herself a bit more than usual.

With the coronavirus going around, especially in the area where I live, I have been staying at home, quarantining myself and havent been outside nor do I plan on going out. If there is anything I can do from home to help her out, I would love your opinions:)

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
This is not normal and she needs to be seen by a vet. Cat introductions need to be slow and carefully done. I'm not really sure why a new cat was introduced during a time when you can't see a vet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prue nips and doesnt mean any real harm to any of the cats, she is just one of those cats who likes to be by themselves. She doesn't know how to handle a kitten yet but I only mentioned prue as a possibility but I dont believe that she could have done this to this extent to luna. I am curious if the kitten is stressed out or was it the dish soap?

They all are getting along and have been for the past few weeks. All the cats are rescues and I have never encountered this with a cat before.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Cat bites are usually puncture wounds, aren't they? That looks more like the fur has been ripped off. Do you see any puncture marks around the edges? If so, there's a risk of it abscessing. Feel her ears once in a while, to be sure she doesn't have a fever. And better keep the two cats separated unless they're being supervised.

Here are some instructions for treating wounds on cats: Wound Treatment for Cats (Overview)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no puncture wounds. It seems to be getting infected. I have an appointment tomorrow at 1130am with the vet. Her ears are cool, she has been itching it and cries when it gets touched in the slightest when we try to clean it. I'll keep you updated. Thank you:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
What is your vet's protocol? Mine isn't allowing people into the office right now. We call ahead if we're picking up anything, then call them from the parking lot when we get there and they bring whatever it is out to us. One of my cats has an appointment on Friday. I'll set him (in his carrier) outside their door and let them take him in, then they can call me and tell me whatever I need to know. I've already called them and put some money on my account, so there's no handling of checks or credit cards.

I'm glad you were able to get Luna in to be seen. I hope it's nothing serious. Do let us know how it goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be putting her in a cat crate, and they will come get her, and I'll be waiting in the car until they bring her back. I wrote a note to give to the vet about everything that's happening since he/she cannot talk to me directly. We cut a clean sock and made a makeshift cone to get her to stop itching it so much and making it bleed. It seems to be working so far, she is just really tired.

But I'll definitely let you know! I hope your furrbaby is okay too :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts