Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten Maleke is 9 months old now, he is still VERY affectionate when we are alone...but as soon as Magic (6 months) walks in the room Maleke tenses up and wants down. Then he just goes and hunches down on the floor. He is fine if we are carrying him, as long as we are moving he will stay in our arms, but if he is on our lap or in our arms when we are sitting down he will jump down when Magic comes in.

I guess he is jealous, even though Magic gets locked in a different room at night still so Maleke can sleep with us and have us to himself all night. The two of them sleep together when we are away so I know it's not that he doens't like Magic. Why do some cats become like this? Is it jealously? Maleke is just SO affectionate and I don't want it to stop because of Magic (who is almost unbearably affectionate!).

I love them both and I want them both to be comfortable being petted when the other one is in the room, I don't want them feeling threatened.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
At least they get along at other times. Make sure to pet them both and give them treats, I find food a good middleman alot of times. Good Luck! :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
i think he gets jelous cuz he cant come in the room with you guys.

i sleep with my dogg... but the cat cannot sleep in my room cuz he pounces my comforter everytime i move!!!! so i close my doors. every morning he comes in my room the 1st second my girlfriend opens the door.

i think the cat just wants to hang out with ya'll

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
bjohnson said:
i think he gets jelous cuz he cant come in the room with you guys.

i sleep with my dogg... but the cat cannot sleep in my room cuz he pounces my comforter everytime i move!!!! so i close my doors. every morning he comes in my room the 1st second my girlfriend opens the door.

i think the cat just wants to hang out with ya'll
Maleke is not the one that gets locked out at night. That's Magic - the new one. Maleke is the "king." ;)

Maleke -- I'd just make sure not to give up on the positive reinforcement. Sometimes cats take longer to come around than others. Maleke obviously loves you and if his behavior changed when Magic became a permanent part of your family, then at least you can rest assured that everything makes sense. It could be jealousy, but it might be something else too. He might just not want to let his guard down when the other cat is around you guys? I think my Jack kind of does that too. With a new addition, it usually takes a long time for everything to settle completely. Maybe someone here has better advice, but I say just try to relax and keep loving your kitties. You're doing nothing wrong -- and you can't make a cat act a certain way. You can just ask them. Then wait and see if they listen when they are ready. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts