Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I hope you're doing well!

I recently adopted a 2 yr old and 4 months old stray male cats, it's almost a month now. The older one was always shy, and used to hide in the attic, since he wouldn't socialize I've closed the attic and his behavior is much better. He's still scared but lets me pet him sometimes, and also sleeps next to me at night.

The younger was though was very affectionate initially, however, he's not anymore. Introducing them was a difficult process, but they are used to each other now, but the younger one wants to play all the time, which makes the older one very nervous and he wants to go up to the attic again. The younger one meows anytime I pick him up, he stopped sleeping next to me and just meows and comes near me when he's hungry. I am afraid my bond with him is slowly fading, and I sometimes do get angry or sad. This is my first time taking care of cats, and it's been very overwhelming. I am even thinking if rehoming the younger one will be a better option as he doesn't seem to be as active and happy as the day I got him.

Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
27,076 Posts
For the older cat, I think you should open the attic up again. It seems to be his safe place, which every cat should have, especially when they're newly adopted.

Unfortunately, the little guy is acting exactly like a kitten. They have endless energy and will run hot and cold towards you. For no reason. I think if you ignore him and don't pick him up, he'll come around. Cats do not like being ignored. I would also suggest some interactive toys he can play with on his own.

Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Rectangle Cylinder Personal protective equipment
Cat Dishware Tableware Carnivore Felidae
White Drinkware Toy Purple Liquid

Reactions: momosa42

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The only issue is that I can’t reach the attic, and am scared I can’t reach him in case of any emergencies. I’ve gotten them some toys, but I’ll try and get the ones you suggested. Also, I’ve ordered a bigger cat tree so he can sit/sleep on the top. I hope that makes him feel better.

But yes, it’s been overwhelming as I was expecting them to be a bit more affectionate 🥲

·
Super Moderator
27,076 Posts
Cinderella was my first cat and slept with me every night. When I brought Cleo home, she wouldn't sleep on my bed for several months. And when I brought the twins home (the Bratz), the kittens really did go through phases of affection/ignoring me.

Cat trees are great. My girls had 5 at one time.

For the toys, just Google "interactive toys for cats" and you'll probably find something perfect for the little one.

Reactions: momosa42

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone,

It's been 3 months since I adopted 2 cats (2.5 yr and 5 months old). It has been quite an experience. They both have adjusted to each other, but I think they still haven't adjusted to me.

I've always loved and wanted cats, but now that I have them I've to say I do regret it at times. The older one had a difficult time adjusting, but he lets me pet him sometimes. He comes and sits next to me with his face the other way, but he'll still cuddle and stay close. However, anytime I am simply walking around the room he will run and hide. I live in a single bedroom apartment, and the design is kinda old school. When I brought him home, he quickly hid on the top shelf of the bedroom cupboard (it's his safe place) and goes there to nap most times of the day, and I let him so he doesn't try to get under my bedsheets and tear it. He still wouldn't let me hold him though. Here are a few things that concern me:
1- He is pretty big, and won't let me hold him so I can't really take him to the vet or leave him at a cat boarding home or a friend's place in case I've to travel.
2- I usually lock them up in the hall, as they keep running and playing. This severely affected my sleep for more than a month. But every morning around 4-5 AM the older one will meow loudly and bang on the door to come in. One night they locked me in, and I had to call my landlord to break the main door's lock and open the bedroom door. I've attached an image of the lock outside my bedroom that these guys managed to close.
3- I'll be starting a new job and will be in night shifts, and I am really feeling restless thinking about our little situation here. Mornings are something they're very much active, and they wake me up at 4-6 AM these days, which is when I'll be done with work to go to bed.

The younger one is super active, and I do lose my patience with him several times a day (maybe because I haven't been sleeping very well), and he does what all kittens do. In all this, I don't think we've bonded and I've considered rehoming them as I want them to have a loving home, but I also feel guilty about giving them away. They locked me in the bathroom a few days ago, thankfully I was able to get out. I sometimes don't even feel like this is my home anymore. I know I sound dramatic but unfortunately, this is how it has been the past couple of weeks.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts