Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
History: I got Porky a 12 week old (NOW 8 MONTHS)neutered domestic short hair male cat from the Humane Society. He had already been diagnosed with URI. but that did not make me think twice about adopting him! He used to wake me up at night but I ignored it and it all got better however, his biting habit has never stopped. I have almost surrendered him 4-5 times and gone through the misery of almost crying and being depressed most of the time as he does not let me work/study from home and keeps biting randomly. I am also quite tired of looking at articles and watching videos as I believe there are different ways each kitty reacts and what not. As of now, I have tired ignoring, tried saying no and putting him away (he keeps coming back to bite), made loud noise (by squishing a bottle, yet to try can with coins). I also got Feliway to help him calm down but it made no difference. I do try to do the Play Eat Sleep routine 3 times a day along with additional interactive toys. He has been to the vet and has no underlying issues other than his eye which usually has discharge but I clean it up and have been giving him L-Lysine gel since I got him. He also was prescribed Maxitrol eye drops which while I used them were effective, but as soon as I stop, it goes bad. I am yet to see a vet (next monday) to recheck the exam and see what to do. I have tried looking for behaviorist but there are none near me and the vets seem not to care. I have got him teething toys but he does not seem interested much, I do clean his litter regularly and also got him a cat tree(which he was scared of but miraculously I started putting his treats near and now he wont leave it!).

I am sorry for a long post but I am desperately in need of help! I am mentally affected as his biting wont stop at random bites, he never lets me sit on my table to work so I have to work from bed.. and even then he comes just to bite me and the laptop, and when I move him away he bites me again and does not let go. Alot of people say it could be a play/love bite, but his body language suggests something else. His eyes get dilated, ears back and he never backs off himself unless told off. I am unaware of his early child hood, maybe he was taken away earlier but idk how to get him better now. I do not want to get him on anxiety meds as I feel he is too young and will never get to experience himself fully.

Please help me and suggest what to do with this issue.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I don't know what you've actually tried, but that biting would bug me no end, for sure!

I would grab him by the scruff of his neck and hold him firmly and say, loudly, NO. His mama would probably knock him across the room (after biting him back) but that really is not something you can get away with. ;)

Of course what I suggest might make him even worse, but I'd give it a go for a week or so. Every bite.

Because maybe he went into the shelter before his mama trained him properly.... or maybe she died before she had a chance. Animals raise their young rather more roughly than we want to mimic.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Some cats, are just more aggressive genetically; your boy "Porky" may be one of these. Yelling and aggressive actions on your part don't usually work and will aggravate his aggressiveness or biting. The "play, eat, sleep" routine is good, but it depends on the type of play.....never use your hands, and always have some squeaky mouse toy or something for him to grab and bite, or preferably use a wand toy with feathers on the end, and flit it around in a birdlike motion and then let feathers land on floor, or sofa, and let him pounce and bite it.....repeat until he tires of the game. Then give him a treat to eat or feed him a meal (better to feed "meals" than to leave food down in a bowl). Another thing to do is to have a spray bottle with water or water pistol nearby or on your person, and when he's coming at you with dilated eyes to bite, say "No biting!" firmly and distract him by throwing something for him to go after.....paper ball, ping pong ball, little stuffed mousy..... if he ignores this distraction, and before he attacks, squirt him in the face. This will usually make most cats back off. When he does back off with just saying "No", you can reward him with a treat or some play. If you move him away from you after he attacks, put him in a "time-out" in cat carrier for 15 mins. Your boy at 8 mos., is coming into his "terrible teens" when males are most aggressive, and this stage of his development can last a year! My boy "Fitty" was an aggressive boy, not with me but with my older 13 y.o. male cat, but now they're close buddies. You'll have to be consistent and determined in how you treat your boy....when he is behaving well, reward him with treats and affectionate strokes in places that he enjoys to be scratched, eg. cheeks and chin, top of the head......a lot of cats don't like their tummy touched or sometimes their backs. Just limit yourself to his favorite spots, and let him initiate wanting to be stroked. If he looks like he's going to bite, walk away from him, into another room. Eventually he will learn, that biting isn't going to lead to treats, meals, or petting.
All the best and hope some of these suggestions will be helpful, and hope you can give us an update on Porky's behavior in a while..

Reactions: 10cats2dogs
1 - 3 of 3 Posts