Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 of my kittens are long hair beasties. They are 6 weeks old this Thursday.

Yesterday early afternoon I noticed that Nibbler and Jr had what looked like scales on the underside of their tails above their rectums. I was able to wash/gently pull most of it off (which I think hurt me more than them - time to trim those kitten needle claws!!). Upon detailed inspection it felt waxy and greasy and I only found it on the long haired kittens. Yesterday evening only a small trace remained, and there was some this morning.

Is this 'normal'? Could it be a byproduct of mama's milk/higher fat content in kitten food? Is there anything I can do besides trim the hair and frequently wipe them down?

I don't have access to a home vet and I really don't want to pack them up and take them in if I don't have to.

Who knew kittens were soooo stressful???
Thank you!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've not had any experience with this particular problem, but if removing it doesn't seem to bother them, maybe you could just keep an eye on it for a while? If it starts getting inflamed, swollen, etc then I'd be worried, but until then I think I'd just keep cleaning it off.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It could be secretions from their anal glands.

Does it have a smell? >_> Sorry, I'm sure you don't want to get your face too near the scaly stuff, but if it has a strong smell, you would probably have noticed ;}

I'd give the vet a call and ask. You don't have to take the kittens in; just get the vet's thoughts on the situation.

If it doesn't seem serious, you can get their glands checked out the next time you DO take them to the vet for checkup/vaccinations/etc.

Meanwhile, definitely keep the fur in that anal area ... uh ... trimmed down ;}

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@LakotaWolf - I don't think I EVER would have thought of that. None of my other cats have ever (and thank GOODNESS for that) have issues with this, so I doubt it would have ever come to mind.

When I get home I'll have a sniff. Or rather have my boyfriend have a sniff. I'm currently battling a cold and my sniffer is out of order. Too bad, eh?

Is there anything that would get it off? Warm water and a cloth didn't seem to do much. Is there a kitten soap or shampoo or something that I can use to was the tail?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts