Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two black cats both with small white lockets on their chest. The female is pregnant, will the kittens be black also?

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Yes, they probably will be black.

More to the point, are they pedigrees, and if not - why are you breeding them? Sorry, but most of us here on Cat Forum have strong views on irresponsible breeding. There are millions of unwanted kittens out there. I apologise if I've gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Ems

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kitten color

She is going to be spayed after this litter. The kittens will be going with family.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Your cats sound like my Binx. He's all black except for a white lock of hair on his chest. I wonder if this is a common trait in black tabbies, as I've seen others like this as well.

Congrats on the litter of kittens. I hope your family will enjoy their furbabies. And I hope the spay and nutering goes well for the mom and dad!

·
Registered
403 Posts
In my experience the kittens can surprise you with their range of colors and markings! Enjoy the babies!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd say if they're not pedigree you can get different colours. When I adopted Denzel (he's black short hair) I saw the rest of the litter, his brother was completely ginger short hair and his two sisters were both kind of tortoiseshell with longish hair.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Most of the time I see all kinds of colors. Both of my boyfriend's cats came from litters and they were the only grey tabbies in the litter.

But my boyfriend's cat had kittens- we don't know who the father was. We have an idea and we think he was an all black cat. The kittens all came out to be grey.

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Glad to hear mum is to be speyed once her kittens are gone. Just bear in mind that queens can come back into season pretty soon after having kittens, so beware of any attempts to get out!

You must come back to update us on birth and kitten progress! My last foster cat, Isis, was black with a white triangle on her chest. She had 2 all black kittens, and 2 white and black.

Ems

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Is your male neutered now?

There is no guarantee that the kittens will be all black. Most likely both of your cats have some other genes in there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You should at least get the male neutered soon. That will take care of a second unplanned pregnancy once the babies arrive. Then get the female spayed once she recovers from the pregnancy. Or goes into heat again and gets obnoxious.

A stray adopted me and it turned out she was an unwed teenage mother. She went back into heat when the babies just 6 weeks old. The babies were even still nursing some.

And enjoy the babies. It is wonderful to watch them grow. It is great that you have homes for them. The hardest thing for me was the worry of finding them a good home. I even turned down 3 people because they just did not feel right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts