Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is an only pet. I know about keeping him confined (large master bath), gradually allowing access to the rest of the house, and letting him explore on his terms as he becomes comfortable.

He and his litter-mates already sleeps with the breeder, and she has had mostly good reports about new kittens sleeping with their new owners the first night. So....

>>In addition to his litter box in the bathroom, I'm thinking having of one near the bed also in case he wakes up and can't find his way back to the litter box?
>>If he's comfortable and brave, letting him in the kitchen and living room with me when I'm there and occasionally bringing him back to his litter box for reinforcement?
>>Just stay in my master bedroom with him, reminding him where his litter box in the bath is occasionally?

The last time I had a cat I was in an apartment and was able to keep the litterbox centrally located. In my current house the litter box is way off in the master bath, so he has to actually go back to it.

I'm off work for the next few days and will be mostly home, but will be coming and going out a little bit, so he'll get use to being alone at times

So, you kind of get the idea of what kind of acclamation info I'm looking for.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
How old is he?

I brought Holly home at 12 weeks...litterboxes are upstairs in a spare bedroom. She didn't understand that she had to "travel" when she was downstairs, so I had to put a box on the first floor for about 4 weeks.

If he's younger than 12 weeks, I keep a box in the same room he is in and start moving it further away every few days.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Muffs was a few days shy of 12 weeks when I brought her home. We arrived home at suppertime and she and I spent the very first evening in her room (a den I converted into a "cat room"). After that, she was typically in the family room with me, which is two rooms away from the cat room. She never had trouble finding or using her litter box. She slept in my bedroom at night. I also kept a litter box in a bathroom that adjoins my bedroom, and she never had trouble finding that box either.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My advice is not about litter boxes, but about the kitchen.
You can let the kitty in there if you want, but training him that the kitchen is an off-limits room could be a good thing in the long run. Sure he may want to follow you everywhere while getting to know you, but later you'll have to deal with jumping on counters, stealing foods, getting into things, and injuries - specifically getting burned from the stove (cats don't realize the tops are hot, and can walk over them and THEN realize it).

I think Nebbie was trained by her last home not to, because she'll stop in the doorway and watch me do stuff. Then when I come back out, she'll resume following me around (or running ahead, if she knows I've got her bowl of canned food in my hand!).
Zinny also doesn't come in the kitchen, but I didn't really train her for that. I guess she figures if Nebbie doesn't go in, it's not a very interesting place?
Paizly never leaves her bed to follow me anywhere, anyway! LOL

I also don't like them getting up/under my sewing table, for fear the sewing machine might catch their tail or paws in the needle (or that they'll step on the foot pedal when I'm not ready and get MY fingers caught in it).

Anywhere that could be hazardous to the cat should be taught to be avoided. Of course, with some cats, trying to bar them from someplace just makes them want to go to it even more!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts