Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 13 week old old kitten who I have had for a month. Just recently he started demonstrating extremely strange behaviour and I’m not quite sure what to do. I regularly clean his litter box every day, but the day before yesterday I was so busy that I ended up doing it a day late. The next day when I got home at night I noticed there was poop on the floor. My cat lives in a catio I built for him, and the box is on the bottom floor. I used wooden shelves to build it, so the bottom floor was a bit elevated from the ground, and there were gaps between each of the three planks that form a shelf level. He took the dried poop out and pushed it in between the planks so it fell onto the actual floor. I immediately cleaned the litter box and found there was barely any poop left in the box itself, as all of it had gone under the planks. Today in the morning I saw him doing it again, but it didn’t make sense to me as the box was clean from the night before.

I let my cat out several times a day, at least after every meal. I don’t even know if it is because he is bored…. I thought kittens slept a lot and he wouldn’t be THAT bored when he was in the catio.

·
Registered
564 Posts
He may have done it to clean the box since you didn't do it that day. Who knows.
Then, he maybe found it entertaining so he did it again. You just need to do something to stop it for a while so he doesn't get into a habit of doing it.

What I would do is simply change how you have the box in such a way as to make it impossible for him to do this again, however you can do that. Close up those spaces where he pushed it through the planks. See if that changes his behavior, and try cleaning the box twice a day for a week or so.

Just an aside......are you sure it is safe where you live to let your cat go outside on his own? It can be very dangerous for a cat to be outdoors in most places.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestions! I have a small garden in my house, and we put wired fencing (no idea what you call it) around the fence so he can’t get out. he’s too small anyways to jump over the fence, and we just let him stay in the garden or come inside.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi K. Kittens his age have passed the sleepy stage and have lots of energy to burn, so I would guess he's just bored. What toys does he have? How often do you play with him?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts