Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
One of our garage kitties had 3 kittnes of her own. It got cold here in WI and we decided to bring her and the babies into our home, ( she had the babies on our porch). Nevertheless, we have been caring for them, going on 5 weeks and as all cats are, they are SUPER curious and want to touch and lick everything. I made a kitty enclosure in our 2nd floor bathroom that covers the whole bathroom, they have a lot of room in there, but it seems that the biggest girl wants OUT! The higher I put the side rails, the more determined she is to climb out and tonight she did. I am worried about making the enclosure any higher because then the Momma kitty won't be able to get in there to nurse or sleep.
Does anyone have any ideas that we could use to make is safe for them to be in there and so Momma can come in and out as she wishes. We have homes for all of them, but we are waiting till they are at least 10 weeks old. They are in the 2nd story of our home because we have 4 cats of our own and don't want to risk that our kittys may do something bad or fight with the Momma cat. And although, we know the Momma cat, we haven't had her tested for anything. We have to wait till she's almost done nursing, so they don't have contact with each other at all. I know eventually they will be able to get around more, but for now I am woried about them getting into something they should not or worse, falling down our flight of stairs!
Please help, we're desperate!
catwoman >>>>>

·
Registered
30 Posts
mmmm this is a tough one.
When they get to that age they become so agile and nimble, its very difficult to contain them but still arrange access for the mother to come and go as she pleases.
I often kept mine in the empty bathtub, the slippery sides detered the kittens long enough, but at this age of 5-6 weeks I usually give up and let them roam around the house and hope that mamma keeps them out of trouble.
Is there anyway you can dedicate a safe room for them where you can close the door and keep mother and babies together, but plenty of room ?
that would be my only suggestion.
Unless you want to wean the babies early ( not recommended )so they dont need mamma's milk and constant attention.
They can start solid foods now and learn to use a litter tray.

good luck !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, felinefanatic!
They have the entire bathroom. When they were first born, they had a maternity box, as they were getting bigger, we kept expanding the box, till finally they started climbing out. So we put a small cardboard border, that we call the "kitty fortress" and have it the entire length and width of the bathroom. Our vet suggested that I begin weaning them, so I feed them 2 times with a bottle, once with canned kitten food and weaning milk, which I blend into a mush, then the rest of the time they have Momma. They go to the litterbox completely on their own now, but I see Momma kitty still cleaning their rears. We lock the door to the bathroom at night, so they have complete privacy and so the Momma kitty doesn't want to wander the floor and forget the babies.
Tomorrow they will be 5 weeks and everytime I go in to see them, they start mewing, run and try to jump out of the box, (usually it's all tumbling) and the real climbing begins...... up my legs! You're rgith, they are very agile and nimble!
:lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts