Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 11 week old boy and 9 week old girl have been fighting lately. Well it's more like the boy wants to play and gets on her back and bites and she sits and cries and makes that nasty high pitched meow of pain. If I don't do anything it seems to go on.

Should I get involved or ride out the terrible noises and let them figure it out? I've had them for a week and a half now.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Hi Blitz! Is your boy kitty pinning her down (on top of her) and biting the back of her neck? If so, it could be early hormones kicking in...it can happen!
For both boys and girls...one of the reasons early spaying and neutering is highly recommended! ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of, he will take bites at different places; from what I've seen they end up on their sides. He was neutered on the twelfth when he was 10 weeks. I did read that could happen. What do you recommend I do when this happens?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
At 10 weeks old this has nothing to do with hormones! He's just playing too roughly.

Blitz, what I used to do when my boys were kittens was this; if they were playing and I heard one pain-cry I'd pay attention. If a few more came then I'd step in and separate them, giving them each a toy they could wrestle and kick. If they went right back at it with cries again the aggressor would get 30 seconds to 1 minute in a kennel to settle down, then I'd use something like a wand toy or laser pointer to get them playing a different kind of game for about 3-5 minutes.

You always want to give them a chance to sort it out themselves, but both kittens need to know that you'll step in and back up the kitten who is feeling trapped. The kitten being chomped on need to know you'll help out, and the other kitten needs to learn to listen to their playmate's cries.

It means a lot of moderated play sometimes, but if you find it's happening a lot add in a few more play sessions with wand or laser toys to wear them both out a bit more. I always found kittens to be most aggressive (read: grumpy/wound up) right before dinner or if they hadn't had enough hard play for one reason or another. Right after nap time before dinner was a trigger for my boys.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
With the other thing ruled out, Lol! ;)
I'm in agreement with Librarychick!!
Kittens will be Kittens and extra play time with you and refereeing their play sessions as needed, should do the trick! :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts