Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Booth is currently a little over 6 months old (6.5 months, to be entirely exact) and he's a little over 9.5 pounds of muscle already, it's a little crazy. He was also neutered 2 weeks ago, if that makes any difference. I feed him about 1/8th of a 6.5oz can in the morning and night (currently only about a tablespoon each feeding since so much was being wasted), and a 3/4cup of Wellness kitten dry food lasts him about 2 days.

Since he was a baby kitten (I found him when he was about 5 weeks old) he's always eaten with gusto. No food was ever left in his dish and he was always thrilled to be fed.
Then, he started being less excited about food. It started the first time I gave him some fish flavored wet food (Wellness) and we learned that his system does not like fish at all (diarrhea-ing and vomiting ALL over). He ate a little fo that, then completely shunned it, which was good since he had a terrible reaction to the little he ate.
After that, he continued to eat his wet food happily.
However, in the last month or so, he's started leaving quite a bit of food in his dish, mostly from his morning feeding. Now, he basically leaves his morning food until the evening, if he eats it at all, and only fully eats his evening feeding if he runs out of dry food overnight.

Currently, a 6.5oz can of By Nature Chicken+Chicken Liver has taken us about 4 days to get within finishing (it was opened on Saturday and will probably be done tomorrow morning).

I guess I'm just worried that we're going down a bad path. Perhaps I should stop feeding him as much dry food as I do since he's basically eating the dry food in preference to the wet food?

For the next few weeks (at this rate of eating, at least) I got him 3 cans of By Nature Beef+Liver (it seems to be his favorite, that one generally gets cleaned up), one can of By Nature Turkey+Liver, and one little cup thing of By Nature "Simmered Duck+Vegetables" that he's never had before. I used to feed him exclusively Wellness but now he basically shuns that completely. His favorite out of everything he's eaten ever was Spots Stew, but that has so many veggies and he needs more of it to be full so I don't get that generally at all since I need to get the most bang for my buck. I've been having luck with By Nature, right now at least, but I'm sure he'll decide he doesn't like that before long.
I found EVO at another store and considered trying it, but I read the ingredients and it has salmon oil in it, and seeing as how Booth has had such a string reaction to relatively small amounts of fish products, I hesitate to try that and put him through misery. The other brand that I have access to is Before Grain, but I think that may be more expensive than any of these other options (but I haven't really checked in depth).

He also used to like scrambled eggs (I'd give him about a tablespoon of scrambled eggs every few weeks, just to mix it up) but I gave them to him the other day and he didn't touch them at all.

I have no issue cooking things for him, I just can't go raw currently, but if there are any recipes that I could make for him every once in a while to spice things up, I'm totally game.

Anyway, what would you do? I'm just concerned that he's lacking nutrition/getting to much dry/wasting my money, yknow? What to do?

Also, he's always thrilled at mealtimes. He purrs and purrs all over the place, then sniffs the food, scratches the ground around it and leaves and never comes back to eat.
He's not losing weight either, just it's my job to be a worried cat mom. haha

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am, (fish) allergies are caused by proteins, not oils. This is not to say that salmon oil added to cat food is pure enough to not be allergenic, but your cat may be able to tolerate salmon oil just fine, and salmon oil is good for cats. Now you will hear that fish is bad for cats, but that is mostly because of the high mineral levels that are in the bones, and bones are in fish meal.

Will your budget accommodate a straight diet of good quality canned cat food? If so, just stop feeding him the dry stuff. Only feed him canned. I seriously doubt he'll starve. He probably won't even lose weight. I switched my cat cold turkey. I didn't intend to do that, but I didn't give in first, and after only a day without eating, she finally ate the canned food. She gets half a can in the morning, half in the evening. She'll usually eat the second half can cold out of the fridge -- she's hungry. I've given her a wide variety of all the better stuff mentioned on this site, and the only thing that is clear is that' whatever brand, she doesn't really care for beef. I just don't buy it any more. As for those couple varieties that contain peas or carrots -- she won't eat the peas or carrots, but hey, I wouldn't eat canned peas or carrots either!

Keep trying and don't give in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I switched him over from having basically as much dry as he wanted, to only getting a little dry after he finishes his wet and that seems to be working out pretty well. He been much more willing to eat his wet food and he's actually still eating the same amount of dry, just more split up. And, on top of that he doesn't seem to be unduly irritated by the change, like I thought he would.

djf053- Good to know! I didn't know that about proteins vs oils. Thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll get some EVO one of these days then and try him out on it.
I plan to switch him over to straight wet once he's more grown up and hopefully not eating as much/I'm richer. I'm currently trying to put myself through college, own my horse and buy food/care for her (which is, granted, WAY more expensive than cat food, hahaha!), AND take care of this kitten that I had no intention of ever having until I was settled in my life. I guess that's what life does, it throws curve-balls into the best laid plans. Haha
However, I really haven't mapped out the literal numbers for feeding solely wet vs wet/dry, maybe they're comparable or all wet is cheaper. I really don't know at this point. I'll look into that.
Booth LOVES the carrots and peas, he will take raw carrots away and munch on them if he's allowed to. He obviously hasn't read the obligate carnivore handbook! :p

Thanks for the tips!!

Also, in the interests of not starting a new thread, is there anything I can do to stop Mr. "I'm An Inventive Young Cat" from playing patty-cake with his water dish?
He's been getting water everywhere (thank the lord his dish is in a room with a tile floor) and then he makes it so he has no water and comes to me like "save me?" then, when I fill it up again Sir "Patty-Cake" is back. >.< I've taken to just giving him a centimeter or so of water at a time (which seems to discourage him from playing with it) but he often drinks that before I'm home from school and he's then left without water for who knows how long.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If he's on a canned food diet he should not need to drink so much water, but that won't stop him from playing in the water, will it? My cat loves to play with her water. After dealing with a lot of messes it finally dawned on me to just put her water dish in the bathtub.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
If you don't want the water dish in the bathtub, a big tray under the water dish would be easier to clean than the floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts