Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends are going to adopt two young kittens and I want to put a little something together. They have had cats in the past so they already have a bed and a basket of toys collars, bowls etc. I know they lack wand type toys so I'm going to get a da bird toy with refills. I'm also thinking of adding some anti-icky poo. Any other ideas?

I haven't had a real kitten in years so if you have a favorite kitten oriented toy or supply please share.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
When my downstairs neighbors got a kitten I gave them a little gift basket with 4 or 5 cans of really good quality food (kind of a hint hint hint), a wand toy with refills, some little bell toys, a new kitty bowl, and a soft baby blanket I found for her.

ETA: Oh yeah also a brush (for a short hair kitty) and NAIL CLIPPERS for the kitty with a note in there saying I'd be happy to help them trim her nails whenever they wanted. They DID take me up on it and raved about how much less damage she was doing. LOL. Now she gets them done (by them) every week.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Cardboard scratchers! You can find some really cheap on Amazon, at HomeGoods/TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory, etc. They were lifesavers when my girls were kittens! I always had a few in every room and put some catnip in them (usually comes with). It taught them what was okay to scratch. I gift these to people who get new cats that have declawed in the past, trying to sway them not to (also with only a small lecture about how cruel it is...)

These are two of my girls' favorites. They like the incline one to stretch and scratch, and the bed one is their favorite for hanging out in and scratching.
Amazon.com : KONG Naturals Incline Scratcher Cat Toy : Scratching Pads : Pet Supplies [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Original-Scratch-Lounge-Worlds-Scratcher/dp/B00115EY0U/ref=sr_1_7?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1428785441&sr=1-7&keywords=cat+scratcher[/ame]

I got the incline one for $5 at Burlington, and the green one for around $15 at HomeGoods. The prices on Amazon aren't too bad, though!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Tell them to save the box.. after the kittens look at everything else. It will be the box they want to play with.

I have been shopping at costco. They put your groceries in boxes instead of bags. Every time I put up groceries. my 19 (20!!) year old cat will be in the box before I even turn around. I can't bring myself to throw them away for hours!

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Fleece. If you're clever, you can sew it into a little pad or blanket. But really you can just buy fleece by the yard at a fabric store and stick it in a shoe box and you have a cat magnet.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
I agree with Jeff! Fleece is a cat magnet!:p

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
These are my favorites:

A good quality scratcher with the ball track. Hours of fun. A tower of balls on tracks and a crinkle tube. All my foster kittens have loved all of these!

cat scratcher1.jpg

cat toy tower.jpg

crinkle tunnel.jpg

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Oh, yes! Crinkle tubes are a hit! Also, tumble cubes or triangles...

Sometimes, with kittens, simple works best. Some string and beads, toy mice...

My stepsister's cat WON'T PART with his little stuffed banana!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.