Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this has been quite a week for Peanut and her owners.

First, she has started jumping onto the kitchen counters, in which she had NO interest before.

Today, she bolted out the front door TWICE.

SHe also jumped on top of the big screen TV and fell behind it (i had to rescue her, thank goodness I was home!)

AND now she has taken to crawling up our very tall bookshelf and "resting" behind books.

Is she in her rebellious teen stage? (she's almost 6mos old, getting spayed/microchipped in 2 weeks)

Or was she just being easy on us before? :?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
teenagers

Your baby is growing up! 6 months is a little young for true adolescence but you know what a pain those 8 and 9 year olds can be!

My advice: get a videocamera. Who knows, you could make a fortune with her antics on America's Funniest Videos! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
kittens

My kittens are 3 months old (2 girls) and they start doing the same thing. First the bookshelves, then the chairs and tables. According to what you wrote, it will get even worse! A TV!!! :)

Eva

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Don't worry soon enough you'll be missing these crazy moments. My cats are now almost a year and a half and are being very good mannered. @@@

·
Registered
23 Posts
Missie-

Where did you get the dollmaker for your cute user icons? I've been searching all over for a good one. Any advice?

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread. :)[/b]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this is just baby behavior? Will the jumping and leaping tone down a bit after her spaying?

Also, I tried putting some orange rinds on the kitchen counters to keep her away and she started eating them! I'm not sure she's really even a cat! ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
It may calm down a bit...but it really is normal kitten/cat behavior. If you don' t want her on the counters or on bookshelves, I'd whip out the spray bottle. She's definitely young enough to get the idea, coupled with a firm "no."

Personally, I don't mind my cats jumping on counters, tables, and whatnot. They rarely knock anything down, so I figure I'll let them away with it. :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're not very picky about where she goes, either, except that for health reasons I'd rather she not be hopping up where food is prepared.

Also, as a first-time "Mom" I have all these visions of her somehow turning the knobs on the oven or sticking a paw down the toaster...you know, irrational (but maybe possible) behaviors!

I have a feeling we'll just end up giving in, because I don't want to spray her or spank her and lose her trust (she is sooo trusting of us and so happy to follow us around, get picked up etc).

Has anyone had luck with those spray repellants :?:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've heard mixed reactions to the repellents. What really worked for our kittens was the spray bottle. More often than not, the cat will associate what she is doing- not you- with the spraying, especially if you are discreet about it. A quick squirt is annoying but painless, and gets the message across (and very clearly to most cats) that sitting on top of the counter / bookshelf / TV, etc. is not a good idea. (i.e. If I sit on the counter, I will get sprayed. --> I do not like to get sprayed. --> I do not like to sit on the counter.) You have to be consistent, but it works pretty well. I've also heard that covering areas you don't want the kitten to jump up onto with foil or tape (sticky side up) can make for a good deterrent in off-limits areas. As with the spray bottle, the kitten associates jumping onto the counter with something unpleasant, and decides (as far as she's concerned) for herself that it's in her best interest to steer clear.

Another great deterrent to undesired jumping and climbing is a well-placed cat tree. (By a window overlooking a busy bird feeder, etc.) Kittens will be kittens- which includes a certain amount of jumping and climbing- but if you give her a more fun alternative, chances are the TV won't look so desirable anymore.

You definitely don't want to ever spank, smack, hit, or physically punish a cat or kitten, as this will only confuse and frighten them.

Good luck! :) (believe it or not, in another year or so, you'll actually come to miss this phase, hee hee.) :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ah, yes.. and believe me (as somebody who was introduced to the joys of feline companionship via a litter of newborn kittens a couple years ago)- you are definitely NOT alone in those "visions", lol. :wink:

(I always swore I'd never be an overprotective mother.. after raising Nicky and his littermates, I realized I was doomed, lol.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts