Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one I haven't seen a thread for, but I'm sure someone here has some advice. Callie, my 8 month old male, is starting to show 4 or 5 balding spots on his fur. They all just popped up at once. (granted, I was away for about 48 hours, but he's used to that). I can only imaging he is licking himself too much, but I haven't seen him in action. Each spot is about the size of a quarter, and not totally bald, but definitely thin enough that I can see skin. Anyone know what's going on here? Otherwise, he's perfectly healthy, active, eating, drinking, bathroom, etc. He's always indoors, no fleas or parasites... Don't know what to do here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I thought about stress, but there would be no reason for him to be unusually stressed out.

Thanks,

katsprat

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK update! Callie is sitting in my lap as I'm typing this and he's licking and chewing at these spots THIS VERY MOMENT!!!

WHY!?!? They are all on his hind quarters...like, on his hips, both sides. :cry:

sprat

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi AddFran....I don't see how, he's been wormed and he's on Revolution.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Spacemonkey, silly me, you're right. :oops: I'm thinking rounds, whips and tapes. Anyway, Callie had an issue with some raw spots a couple of months ago, and the vet did a skin scraping, and it came back negative for rings. That issue is over and done with though. Is this licking thing how ringworms present? How could he pick up this fungus?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Ringworm can be very itchy, which would explain the licking.

The fungus itself is found in the soil. Did the vet do a culture, or just a scrape? Without a culture (takes 3-7 days) there's no telling, really, whether it's ringworm or not.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dr. Jean. Yes, a culture was done, the vet called about 1 1/2 weeks later and said it was negative. That was probably 3 months ago. I have another cat that hasn't shown any signs of bald spots or excessive licking...but now I'm getting really worried by what I'm hearing. Interesting you mention soil, 2 days ago I planted some grass seeds and used some soil I had in a bag...could that have done it? Freaking out now.....

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Soil in bag is supposed to be sterilized; you might want to call the company about that!

Cats can be asymptomatic carriers; and the kitten himself could have had it for a month or more before it became obvious.

In any case, if it's ringworm, you want to get him treated right away!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the info. I'll make an appt tomorrow.

sprat

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a nervous cat with bald spots

I have a nervous female who licks her sides until they are almost bald. We've determined it's definitely nerves. She's very sweet and timid and some of the other cats pick on her and they are promptly put in the yard (they can't get out). She received one steroid shot about a month ago and it didn't phase her. I'm thinking of putting her on some Elavil or something similar. She appears happy and healthy otherwise. Unfortunately she's a bit finicky so I can't sneak some home remedies in her food like I can with some others who have itchy skin problems. Dr. Jean do you have any thoughts on the Elavil?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Elavil is a serious drug. It also tastes seriously bad. If you can't get a drop of holistic remedy into her, good luck with that!

Flower essences (such as www.spiritessence.com) can be given topically or in other ways besides food. Homeopathy is also easy to administer; usually one dose of remedy every few weeks at most. I'd recommend at least starting with something non-toxic, and save the heavy psycho-active medications for the last resort.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
428 Posts
I will give it a try

Thanks Dr. Jean, I will take your advice and try what you recommended. I always opt for natural over prescription any day.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, back from the vet. She seems to think the problem is allergies. She gave me a course of Chlorpheniramine, 1/2 tab twice daily for 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS!!! 8O My poor cat is going to HATE me, he's not the most civilized thing when it comes to pills, but hopefully it will do the trick. Now I've got to figure out what he's allergic to. At least she doesn't think it's ringworms so I'm thanking God for that.

Now, I guess I need to find out what he's allergic to. I'm told to remove all plastic, which is going to be a problem because as often as I travel, I rely heavily on automatic feeders and the allmighty Drinkwell fountain, which he LOVES, but so be it. :cry: I guess I'll just use them while I'm away.

Can anyone here offer any other suggestions? Is there anything else cats are typically allergic to? How do I go about doing this, eliminating the offensive item from my home?

Thanks, sprat

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know I'm prolly a little late to reply to this, but my Chewy has the same problem. She was eating off her fur so often i was worried. Come to find out, it was a flea allergy. The Vet told me she would always have the allergy, and all i could do is try to prevent fleas, and prevent infection. All it takes is one bite from a flea to make her back go bald!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sprat, Cats are also allergic to foods (wheat, corn, soy, grains). If your cat is on a dry diet I would switch to a canned premium food such as Wellness Turkey or Wellness Chicken. I wouldn't recommend fish flavors or combinations. You only want one protein source. Minimize the ingredients if you can and switch the foods up at least every 3 weeks. It's easy with canned. They are also allergic to pollen and other things but most likely it's diet, you could do a blood test. I wouldn't recommend the prescription dry food, many of them have preservatives and corn in them.

Dr. Jean, my cat had the same problem except that he would scratch and lick so much he created scabs on his neck. Then he would have some bald spots on his head for a few weeks. I've had him in to the vets 3 times this year for steroid shots and clavamox. The vet said allergies. Allergies to what I don't know but I've changed his food from that awful Science Diet dry to Wellness canned and he seems much better. It was not the plastic bowl. That was 2 shots ago. I wish it had been that easy but at least he's being fed better. :(

His shot should be wearing off soon and unfortunately his belly seems to be a bit crusty and dry (I haven't seen it that way before). I have him on an Omega-3 vitamin and he seemed to be doing much better with the dandruff and dry itching but recently he has been scratching again. I'm just so worried it's going to come back... :( He is negative as well for parasites, ringworm, fleas, etc...etc. These dandruff flakes are worrisome. You scratch him and it's raining flakes. I have never seen anything like it. To have him tested to see what he's allergic to is somewhere around $250 although I did change vets so she's probably less. Is that something I should do and would you recommend? And how similiar is this to IBD? He did throw up almost daily when he was on the dry food. Also, is a spray for hotspots helpful as well or unnecessary? When I sprayed him with a spray (he hated it and I haven't done it for a week or more) it did seem to help. Hopefully you can respond to my post even though you've come here already! Thanks.

Sprat keep us posted I'm interested to find out what works for your kitty.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Update: I'm stopping the Wellness Chicken & Wellness Turkey!!!! Even though it's premium the chicken may be causing my kitty to be allergic again. Dr. Jean recommended these over the counter foods for my Peekaboo and they might help you as well Sprat - Petguard venison or rabbit, Merrick Thanksgiving Day dinner, or Nature's Variety Prairie (rabbit, venison, lamb or duck). I'm also going to put him on the BioSuperfood that she recommends http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... uperhealth . Fill out the form if you think it will help your kitty and she will get back to you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Doeremi,

I removed the plastic to start. We're currently working with the antihistamines to see if they are doing anything. I thought they were at first, but it seems he's again licking himself just as much as he was before I took him to the vet. I've switched him to Wellness...a variety of flavors....but haven't seen any change. I have to admit I wasn't really thrilled with the vet I went to. (Recently moved and this was our first visit with this doctor) so I think I'm going to make an appointment with someone else this week. There's a "Cat Care Clinic" nearby, so I think we'll try them out. My thinking is....just go for the bloodwork rather than try to figure out the allergies myself....just to minimize poor Callie's suffering. I know he is not happy because he hasn't been himself lately. He doesn't like to be petted (is that a word?) which is totally unlike him...so I think his skin is super sensitive, as well. I am wondering, however, how this blood test works. As a kid I went to an allergist and had a series of skin tests done to figure out what I was allergic to. How can this be determined by blood? Will the vet be able to pinpoint the offending elements??

katsprat

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My son recently went through the whole allergy testing thing and one of the options was to do it by blood. I don't know how, but it can be done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts