Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Scooter spent all day sleeping on my bed, and we were worried, because he's usually a very active kitten. I finally picked him up last night, brought him out into the family room, where he sat for a while, considered playing with the toys I tried to tempt him with, and finally decided to lay back down. He did eat most of his dinner. I work from 8-4, so I decided to take him to the vet as soon as I got home today.

This morning after I left Scooter sleeping on my bed (again) my mom came in, picked him up, and discovered that he had a major fever. So she took him to the vet right then.

The doctor said he had a flu-like virus (and a fever at 105º), and that it's really common this time of year. He got a shot of what I assume was an antibiotic (it was labeled PS on the bill), and he got some tablets called Zeniquin. Since coming home, he's continued to lounge on my bed, but his fever has gone down. He's eated some food for me, but I haven't gotten him to drink water yet.

He goes back to the vet on Saturday morning, but can everyone just keep him in your thoughts until then?

Scooter's had all his vaccinations and tests, and we have 4 other cats, but they're all indoor kitties, so I can't imagine how he picked something like this up :(

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Scooter will be just fine! Can't say from experience though.. I don't remember ever having the flu! :shock:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, I will keep Scooter in my thoughts. It is common for kittens to get sick with fever-causing illnesses for the first year of their life. One of the most sickness-prone cats that I can remember having is Blitz-Bug. She has been to the vets 3 times now, for various illnesses. But now, she is doing OK. I think she is about 9 months old.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My cat Shetan (died last Summer) also had had a flu several years ago.
As you describe he was laying and sleeping a lot. One evening a saw in his eyes that something was wrong. He had fever as well. I don't know the temperature anymore, but I think it was around 104°.
He got an antibioticum and recovered after a few days.

I will keep Scooter in my thoughts.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better :)

Last night Scooter continued to act dead (except purring whenever I kissed him!). He fell asleep in my lap and I ended up falling asleep in a very uncomfortable position because I didn't want to move the poor baby.

I woke up at 2 am, and he was gone! He wasn't on my bed, and he wasn't laying on the floor next to my bed. I couldn't imagine where'd he'd gone, since I had food, water, and a litter pan next to my bed so he didn't have to travel too far (he was super wobbly when walking/standing).

So I ran around the house in the dark and finally found him sitting next to the water bowl in the kitchen. He's been moving around since then. He still sleeps a lot, but he's alert and able to walk in a steady fashion, so I'm feeling better, too.

Seriously, I have this need to panic myself. I spent the last couple days looking up lethargy in kittens and keep coming up with FIP, Leukemia, and other serious diseases... even though he's been tested for and vaccinated against all of them :? But since he seems to be doing better, I'll just trust that the vet knows what she's doing, lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm also glad that Scooter is feeling better. I never knew that a cat could get the flu.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scooter's back to his rambunctious self today :)

He does have a follow up at the vet tomorrow, too, but he appears to be completely restored - playing like a madman, stealing others' food, and getting into stuff he's not supposed to. Yay ;)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Psi had the flu when we first got him, and it was the same thing. He took a couple of days to recover, but while he was sick I was FREAKING OUT. Same thing as you - looking up "lethargy" and always pulling up horrible things. The first vet we went to even told us he could die. SHEESH! (We went to another vet who told us it was quite common).

PHEW.

Glad your little guy is better!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts