Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued two kittens a few weeks ago that were just about ready to be weaned. Initially I was able to get them to drink some kitten formula, but neither seemed to be satisfied so I tried several solid foods. One of the kittens (Joseph) took to canned food and dry kitten food with no problem. However, Jacob was a bit more finicky. In my quest to find something he would eat, I bought Royal Canin Baby cat dry food since it is such tiny little kibble, I figured he could handle that. Well he loved it and now the problem is he won't eat anything else. I mean nothing!! The only other thing he'll take is some lactose free milk for a snack. Otherwise, he's **** bent on eating nothing but, the Royal canin baby cat formula. I don't mind buying him the Royal Canin (I give my cats whatever they want). My concern is, he'll never switch to another food and he can't eat this formula all his life! I'm really stressed about this. Now, the other day when I was giving the other cats a cooked ground turkey treat, Jacob actually ate a morsel or two. I'm going to see if I can get him to eat it again.

I'm trying to mix in some other dry kitten foods with the Royal Canin to see if he'll try something different. I even tried to mix in another Royal Canin variety that had the same first three ingredients as the baby forumula, but he wouldn't eat it. I think maybe it's the size of the kibble that he likes. He's a special little guy.

My next trick is to break up some other kitten food into smaller kibble to see if that appeals to him.

I only had one other cat who was addicted to one food. He was addicted to dry Science Diet and Science Diet A/D. No other food ever touched his little mouth!

Anyone who can help, I'm glad for your suggestions.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My breeder feeds Royal Canin to all her cats, and i'm doing it too, from when we picked Marsh up. He loved the BabyCat formula, and i thought he'd never eat anything else, but as soon as i got him the next step up, the 34, he was all over that as well! So don't worry, if nothing else, he'll eat Royal Canin forever, which is not a bad thing, it's really good food :D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I have never used Royal Canin, so I don't know what the kibble looks like, but I bought Wellness for my kitten after having a hard time with some larger kibble in the Nutro Natural Choice line (which wasn't that great any way!). It was soooo much easier for her to eat the little tiny round kibble than the others. Maybe your kitten would like that??

Good luck.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks Dr. Jean, but I've tried everything. I've let him go hungry and he still refuses to eat anything else. Once I ran out of the food he loves and in an entire day he only ate maybe 2 pieces of another food. He just sits in the middle of the kitchen floor and screams. He is so precious it's really difficult to ignore him. Not to mention he has a big mouth!! HA! I will keep trying. Maybe as he gets older his tastes will broaden.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Have you tried just sticking a glob of canned food in his mouth? Since it's wide open with him screeching, it should be easy! :lol: Anitra Frazier recommends this method, and I have to admit, often it works!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I have

Dr. Jean, I had to laugh when I read your post. Yes, that's how I found out he hates wet food, by putting some in his mouth! HA! However, I do have good news. This morning I cooked some fish for my overweight dog and of course gave some to the begging cats. Well, Jacob, my little "I won't eat anything except Royal Canin Baby Cat," actually ate some fish, a lot actually. I am so pleased. Now I know there's hope for him. HA! Today I purchased a large variety of premium foods i.e, Wellness, Natural Balance, etc. in a bunch of different flavors. I'm going to see if I can get him interested in one of these. Thanks so much for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts