Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going, my 5 month old kitten for the past two days started meowing towards the evening time and laying down showing her belly. She rolls from one side to the other and seems to want you to pet her belly, i am thinking she may be in heat but i read that cats yowl and stuff which she is not doing. She is eating fine,playful and goes to the litter fine. Maybe Exotic shorthairs don't yowl or something, no idea. Thank you, appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Does seem like it...they typically don't roll around and look for belly rubs. They usually "assume the position"....head down, back end up in the air, tail curled over to the side so it's out of the way.

Now would be a good time to get her spayed, she could go into heat any time now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hmmm....All three of my cats are spayed...thus, cannot go in heat. Two of my cats seek belly rubs. All three have "elevator butt." I would start looking into getting your kitty spayed, but belly rubs and elevator butt displays are not necessarily a sign of going into heat. Phantom, before she got spayed, would yowl at all hours of the night. Spraying (which females do) is also another indication.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks appreciate the help, she looks like she is in pain the way she meows, like she got stomach cramps maybe. I mean she has episodes of it, but after it's over she is fine and playful and eats and goes to the litter fine.

But when she is in pain she lays down and has this sad meow, and keeps showing her belly and rolling around wanting you to rub it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
In heat or not, it would be a great time to get her to the vet and have her spayed before she DOES (if she's not) and to prevent pregnancy if she is.

:) If you can get her in tomorrow she'd have you home over the weekend to pamper her.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
I actually meant to say "doesn't seem like it". A cat in heat is pretty unmistakable...the elevator butt thing is not the normal stretching raising the butt that cats do all the time. It's an involuntary reaction...they'll be walking across the room and boom...in the position. Meowing, back end quivering, kind of a wild look in the eyes.

In any case...definitely spay time.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
When my Annabelle came into heat shortly after straying onto my farm, she wasn't vocal at all and didn't "assume the position". She did, however, become extremely affectionate and demanding of attention. It sounds very likely to me that your kitten is experiencing her first heat. It's definitely time to get her spayed before she starts attracting every tom in your area to your doorstep, where they will likely spray their stinky calling cards all over the exterior of your residence.

Laurie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol that won't be a problem I live in a building, problem is I have been told Not to spay if she is possibly in heat and that I should do it after it ends. Thank you, appreciate the help.

·
Registered
336 Posts
All my entire girls (breeder) roll around and want their bellies rubbed when in heat. They 'assume the position' a day or two later with anything that brushes near their behinds lol But spend much of the time rolling around on their backs.

The first kitten heat is usually not very strong so she may not be too vocal.

Definitely book her in for spaying

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
It's true that many vets prefer to spay when the cat is out of heat. Problem is, cats can come into heat every couple of weeks until they are bred, so you have a very narrow window of opportunity to get her spayed while not in heat.

Laurie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts