Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a kitten at 7 weeks old a month ago. At first, he was sweet but still liked to keep his distance and would be very playful/active. He would “rough play” and sometimes attack as any typical kitten does! However now he’s getting even more aggressive. He always bites us when we try to pet him. He does the “crab walk” and his Eyes get dilated and “spits” at us. Not sure if this is just a phase or what ?. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
Seven weeks old is really young to adopt a kitten. Their mother hasn't had enough time to teach them manners and boundaries. He actually sounds like he's still a bit feral.

Cali was my biter. I would say "OUCH!" when she bit me and pick her up and sit her down away from me. Cats do not like being ignored and eventually she learned not to bite.

You could sit next to him and talk to him, give him treats, maybe try to play with him with toys on a want, or something like that. Things to let him know that you being near him are good.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
As Marie73 suggested your kitty is too young and he missed out on his socialization skills, such as reading cat body language, control of his bite and claws from birth to at least 3 mos. of age. Don't use your fingers to play with him, but hold a toy and let him bite at it and not your fingers. If he bites a stern "ow! no biting"! and then walk away from him. That's what a momma cat would do, and if he was really persistent she might give a bop on his head.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts