Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 3 month old kitten, which I love dearly. However, she is giving me a hard time, she cries constantly when I am out of the room. She is separated from me and my other cats at night, and from the other 2 cats, unless I am there to supervise. I have feliway plugins upstairs and down. She cries when I put her in her room at night for at least an hour. I have toys in there, and cuddly toys, there is lots of hiding places, there is a night light on, she has a litter box and food and water too. She has been like this since I got her (end of October). She even cries when other people are in the room with her when I leave the room. My other cats were never like this. I just don't know what to do with her

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Some people would love to have your problem of a velcro kitty. But yes "separation anxiety" can be a problem for the owner who has to leave rooms or the house. One thing you might try is lending her out to a cat savvy friend for a little "vacation"....say a weekend to start, and perhaps as long as a week. This may help to soften the strong bond she has with you. I know that with dogs with SA, the usual advice is to not pay any attention or make a fuss over the dog when you return to your house or enter a room. Pay attention to the dog when it is calm and not begging. If your cat is doing something similar, you might try that approach. Another thing you can try, it to give the cat a busy interactive toy and when the kitten is busy playing, leave quietly. Even, a bag or box may work to distract kitty, or throw a scrunched up foil ball. Don't leave out many toys at a time, and vary them frequently. Good luck!
Interactive Cat Toys | Wayfair

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Ahhhh...She misses her mommy!
I'd suggest to enjoy her wanting to be close to you right now....because...before you know it...she'll hit the 'teen' phase and you'll wonder what happened to her wanting to be close!!! ;) :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my baby Lana about 3 weeks ago and when we brought her home, I couldn't do anything, she would cry to be on me all the time and I gave her as much time as I could but giving her, her own room has helped a bit. She learnt to sleep alone at night but still wants me when I'm around but I have a little more freedom than before. The only way is to just let your kitty cry a little. It's hard to resist those little cries but I think that's the only way. I'm sure she'll ease up a bit :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help. Today I left her with a paper bag to play with. She seemed a little better, however, when I did get home she started to cry at the door. I do love it when she needs me, but not when I am trying to rush off to work, appointments or trying to go to sleep lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other thing to add, when left alone, she has been going outside her litter box, it is also the only time that she does it. Sorry to be graphic but it is only no 2s and it is always runny and it is the only time it is runny.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Have you tried leaving a radio on? Tune a station to one of those AM talk radio stations where there are people talking most of the time and see if that doesn't help some. Try for a few days, if it does not work, try a music station and if that does not work maybe a TV (watching something may help). Other than that I don't have ideas. Some cats do suffer from separation anxiety and require mild medication but I don't think you are there yet. I would also try having second box near where she is going to do her out of box business.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried leaving the telly on. That sort of worked. But that was just for a short while. Will try the radio and the second litter box. Thanks from a very tired cat lover.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Put some of the poo in her second litter box, so it has her scent in there. Hope she'll use the second box. The fact that her poo is runny just when she's left alone suggests it is likely triggered by her anxiety. If it's firm when you're at home then it's not likely a digestive upset, allergy or worms. Some cats avoid the litter box if they have runny poo, as they've usually had the bad experience of stepping in it and then having to clean it off their paws, so they avoid the box. If this is a continuing thing you might consider trying some of the herbal calming treatments, such as Bach Rescue Remedy, Feliway Spray, NaturVet Quiet Moments Herbal Calming Spray. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am away from her now, as I'm working tonight. I left the tv on and she was calm when I left. So hopefully there will be no little surprises for me when I get home. She doesn't have worms as she was wormed 3 weeks ago by the vet. So fingers crossed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
However, she is still going outside her litter box. Tried second litter box with no litter ( thought it maybe the litter as I got the cheaper brand ). But she even peed outside the box. When she is in her room she always uses the box. It's just when she is downstairs she doesn't. Both boxes are enclosed, both are second hand boxes, cleaned with the same cleaning products, both have the same bags and litter etc.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Is the additional box downstairs for her when she's out of her room? Kittens often can't make it back to their box in time when they are young. How old is she again? She may just be too young to be having a lot of unsupervised freedom just yet. What are you cleaning the pee/poo up with?
Also, I would get new boxes, offer uncovered as well as covered, two different (unscented) litters to see what she prefers, and one without a liner as some cats hate them.

Ah, the mysteries and frustrations of cat toileting!

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
You could try some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter in the second box and see if that makes a difference. If it works, you may just have to sprinkle some on top of your other litter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Litter tray problems, at the end of my tether

Hi, I wrote about the kitten with separation problems. She is still the same, going outside the litter box. Tried the second litter box, put it where she was going, so she went over the
Electrical socket instead, and went outside the box when i got home. She has the runs, took her to the vets no problems medically

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.