Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rice is trying to nurse on Zoë, who was spayed yesterday. I've caught her doing it all day today. I suppose since Zoë’s belly is shaved that Rice has easy access. Obviously nothing is coming out, but does this mean Rice needs milk? She eats SOOO much food. She ate almost 2/3 of a 5.5oz. can of wet food this morning. Was she taken away from her mother too young? Can she hurt Zoë? Zoë just lays there and lets her so I assume it's not painful.

Both Rice and Bengo have their check-ups with my vet today. I'll ask her and see what she says, but in the meantime your thoughts are welcome!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I doubt she needs more food. I think nursing is a common thing for kittens to do, more of a comfort thing than an actual food need. Gaylord STILL does it sometimes, and he is almost 3 :roll:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it wasn't anything to worry about, except with her aggravating Zoë’s incision.

I just got back from the vet and everything is fine with both Rice and Bengo. They're healthy as a horse :D When I mentioned that Bengo is showing little interest in wet food, the vet tech tells me that's fine because "feeding wet food is like feeding your cats candy." Then she tells me she's an "seasoned veteran" and asks if I have any more questions. Other than the brief encounter of ignorance, it was a great trip to the vet. They had 1 week old kittens that were born 2 weeks premature. A cat owner demanded her cat be spayed even though she knew it was pregnant. The vet saved the kittens and the staff is caring for them around the clock, all 6!!! I told them to call if they needed any help :wink:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Wow, that's amazing that they could save the kittens!!!

There are two kittens who were put back with their mother after she was spayed... they're up at the place where I volunteer. They're 14 weeks old and they try to nurse on her. Clover also does this; she sucks and kneads the fleece bed that sits on my bed... but she'll only do it when I'm there. She's adorable :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts