Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 month old kitten has been itching the underside of his neck in chin. He is starting to have patches of fur missing there. I took him to the vet, vet said no parisites or fleas issues.

1. I did switch him from Royal Canin Kitten dry food to EVO 4 weeks ago.

2. I also gave hime a bath with Hypo-allgenic (organic) Kitten shampo0. 4 weeks ago.

3. Applied corn starch to 1 scratched balled spot (while he was in a cat show). Also 4 weeks ago.

Itching started up about 2-3 weeks ago. I can't figure out what is wrong or how to give my little kitty some relief.

I have:
- switched his food over to Natures Instinct.
-Vet Check.

What can I do to help him and his itching?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
if it really is an allergy to his food, its more likely to a specific protein in the food, not the brand. Most foods are made from chicken, turkey, beef and fish. Corns and grains tend to be problems as well.

If you want to try a diet aimed at food allergies you have to try a protein source he has not been exposed to. Something like lamb (although its becoming more common in pet foods), duck, bison, etc. A good food to try is the Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck formula.

Is it ONLY his chin?

How does the skin look? Just hairless or red, scabby and irritated? Feline acne is pretty common. No plastic bowls, was the bowls daily between meals and clean his chin daily. See if that seems to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jessie,

He has always been feed on a flat stoneware plate. So, I don;t think it is chin Acne. the missing hair patches are from his consistant scratching of the area.

The area of scratching is from ear to ear....following along under his neck and chin.

Visually, the patches are gray spots. He is a blue point siamese.
thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still need some help with this issue. He has been on Royal Canine green pea and duck for several weeks. I have seen no change in his scratching.

Is there some type of Shampoo or Topical cream I can put on my little guy to help relieve the itching?

The vet says it can talk 8-12 weeks to see any improvement IF it is a food allergy however, what about now? He will have no fur by then! IF it is something in his food.

He has had mite tests, ringworm test, no fleas.... He was even given an Ivermectin injection (in case he had deep skin mites).... no changes.

Will Children's Benidryll be of any help for either a food allergy or whatever is causing the problem?

Seems like there should be something out there..other then "wait and see". He itches now and is losing fur.

I have kept his nails clipped. Vets' don't want to give him a steriod shot since he is so young.

I just want to help him other than sitting around watching him scratch himself furless.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Well, as mentioned, food allergy could be related to grains. Not sure, is Royal Canin grain-free? It could also be the specific protein. Some are allergic to say, chicken. There's a number of other proteins you can try out such as beef, venison, lamb, rabbit. But of course, the effects won't be seen immediately. It'll have to be trial and error over a period of time.

You could also consider raw. I've heard of cats/dogs having allergy probs and when they switched to raw, the problem disappeared.

Looks like you already tried a lot to keep him comfortable. Not sure what else to do for immediate relief. I'm not a vet so don't take my word solely. However, have heard of giving your cat an oatmeal bath (with Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal, diluted 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water). Perhaps you can try contacting your vet for his/her opinion on the use of allergy shots and other medications.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Oh yes, thanks mimitabby. I forgot that one. Could be as simple as stress. Did you do anything recently such as moving, new ppl/animals in the house etc?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Benedryl is safe but hard to dose and doesn't seem to work as well in cats as it does dogs. You can ask your vet if they have antihistamines that might help keep him comfortable, or any sort of topical medications.

Oatmeal baths shouldn't hurt and may provide some relief. There are several oatmeal shampoos made for pets you can use. I don't know if its still out as I got it from a clinic I worked at a few years ago, but there is a cream rinse called Resicort that is a leave on or lightly rinse product with cortisone to help with the itchies. Something like that could help too.

Honestly, skin is hard to deal with. I deal with it with my dog, Brody. She's always had the itchies and as a puppy would scratch until she bled. Switching to raw made a world of difference but Fall/Winter are still her itchy seasons. The last couple of years haven't been so bad but this year she's caused a couple of scabs. I bathe her, have added all sorts of healing oils to her conditioner, have her on fish oil and coconut oil and Benedryl. She's comfortable for the most part, but still scratches more than I'd like her to.

I have done a lot of reading into coconut oil lately - its something you may want to try. It seemed to help a lot in healing up a hot spot she had started that medications weren't helping. If anything, your kitty will smell fantastic :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the helpful info.

- No, the cat is not stressed. Nothing new around or people/animals to bother him.

- I do add both Lysine and Fish Oil to his food daily.

He also has what the vet called "Severe Gingivitis", at 6 months of age. Could this condition be part of his Allergy to food, if it is an allergy? Scratching to neck and head and the Gingivitis?

He has also been feed Royal Canine (it does have grain). Eats from flat stoneware plates and drinks from stainless steal bowls.

I keep my house very clean, I use no chemical products or air-freshners.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts