Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a kitten back in September, she's almost six months old now. My other cat is seven years old, and back then when I lived with my parents she kept terrorizing my parent's older cat. She didn't really mind being alone when we moved, but I planned to adopt another cat to keep her company. My friend found a stray pregnant cat, so I adopted one of the kittens. I never thought that the kitten would be so bad and my other cat could not tolerate her at all :(

The kitten keeps attacking her very aggressively, she jumps on her back from heights, sneaks behind her and bites her tail, runs toward her with full force and hits (and kicks!) her whenever she can, she doesn't let her eat, sleep etc. And my older cat doesnt even try to defend herself, even though she used to play like this (just "milder") with my parent's cat for years. She just hisses and growls and cries and tries to hide from the kitten.
I tried everything to discipline the kitty but nothing works. She cries and scrathes the door when I lock her up even for a few minutes (in the "cat room" with a big scratching wand and full of toys). I can't play with her enough, she never gets tired. I tried to spray her with water but she actually likes it.

Even though the kitten mostly behaves really badly, she can be really cute and lovely. She will be neutered soon, but if nothing changes after that I have to find her a new home before my older cat goes mad.
Any ideas? I really don't want to give away they kitten, but I don't see any other options. The vet recommended cat pheromone diffuser but it didn't work either.

(Sorry for my english, it's not my first language.)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Give a little more time after kitten is spayed. There may be a change. But if not, it's not fair to keep such a bossy animal that frightens your other cat.
Really, there's been plenty of time for them to work things out, and it doesn't sound like things have improved. Too sad.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Your kitty is going through what I call the "terrible teens", an adolescent stage that can last from 7-8 months to 2+ yrs. Some cats are more aggressive than others. My neutered Devon Rex "Fitty" was very aggressive to my older neutered Devon "Zuba" who was 11 yrs. at that time. Yes, "Fitty" got a lot of "timeouts" in the bathroom when he got nasty as Zuba rarely fought back. He was just over 2 yrs. when he greatly lessened his attacks, and also Zuba occasionally fought back. It was a stressful period, but now they're cuddle buddies, hang out together mostly and rarely have any fights. I played with Fitty with a wand toy a lot, and also he was a good retriever, if I threw a stuffed mousie. This was helpful in siphoning off his aggressiveness. He also loved hide-and-seek games, especially if I spread a little bit of dried food or treats throughout the house and he enjoyed finding them. He loves his "walkies" in pet stroller rides outside in summer with Zuba. At one point I almost considered selling him, but am glad I didn't because he's a wonderful affectionate cat, and most of the time when I'm sitting, I'll have two of them in my lap. They don't mind sharing. Fitty's now 5 yrs. and Zuba is 16 yrs. and they both get along very well, always nap or sleep together.

Reactions: Montana422
1 - 3 of 3 Posts