Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have two Cats at the moment, Ozzy who is male and around 1 year old, and an as yet unamed kitten who is coming up to eight weeks old. When we got the kitten we were told that it was eating solid foods fine. Kitten has no problems eating and drinking, but seems to be trying to suckle from Ozzy much to the other cats iritation.

Kitten keeps trying to get underneath Ozzy or will try and nuzzle his belly when he lays on his side. This usually makes Ozzy bat him away or nip him on the back of the neck.

I have no idea if this is a normal thing for a Kitten to try and do. Will he grow out of it or I do I need to find some way of stopping kitten from doing this? Why is he even doing this?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Perfectly normal! :D
Especially when kittens are taken away from their mother so soon, they often tend to try to suck on other things. Some grow out of it, some don't. My one year old still has a "suck shirt" that she uses on a regular basis.
You could try giving her a nice soft T shirt or something else to suck on. See if you can "ween" her off your other kitty. Otherwise, don't worry about it, they'll work it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've never had a kitten and an older cat together before so I wasn't sure if It was anything to worry about. He likes so suck the rud (its fluffy) my scarf and my arms to :D

most of the people who have cats/kittens local to me advertise them to go at 6-8 weeks which is the age i got mine at. After looking online it seems to be recomended that waiting a little longer before letting the kitten go is better which I wasn't aware of at the time. I guess some people just can't be botherd to look after them properly or see a litter as a basket of little money making machines to be sold as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Nanook used to favor ear lobes! He grew out of it, thankfully. Although it was really cute! But, even now, every once in a great while, he'll still try.
The recommendation here is now 12 weeks. It used to be 8 but I think it finally became apparent that it was really too young.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts