Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just adopted two young rescues. Lela is a sweet gentle 8 month old and Lou is a rambunctious 3 1/2 month old. Lou will eventually be the bigger cat but for now he is still a bit smaller than Lela. Although he’s cute as a button he is a very selfish kitten and very rough with poor Lela. She does assert herself at times, but is too docile to really stand up for herself and often runs away when he plays too rough. I have spent a lot of time playing with them both together in positive ways and things between them have been improving quite a bit. Lou has not shown any food aggression at all (I am free feeding them) but he is possessive of certain toys, like the cat tunnel and he has been terrorizing little Lela every time she tried to use a littler box. I have seen some articles online about litter box aggression and they say you should have one more litter box than the number of cats you have. I have two cats and four littler boxes and a very small house! One is covered, one is a standard basic cat box, one is a corner box with high sides and one is a large shallow tupperware bin. When Lela goes to any box if Lou hears her he will take off to harass her. When I am with them I distract Lou either through play or outright hold him down if I have to. Lela has figured out that I will entertain the kitten if I’m aware she is using a box, but I can’t be with them every second of the day. I don’t want to have two cats that need to be enclosed in separate spaces forever and really hope he will get over this soon. I do use Feliway diffusers. I am hoping he will calm down after he is neutered. My vet likes to wait until they are six months old to spay or neuter but I know some people will fix them at four.

Have any of you had similar issues that were not simply resolved by adding more litter boxes? If so how did you resolve them?

Also what are your opinions on the appropriate age to neutered? Will that even help much??

Is it simply a matter of time and the two getting used to each other?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. They are both wonderful and charming (when the little one is behaving) and I want them both to be happy and content together.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I believe that at 31/2 mos., it sounds like he is very healthy and vigorous and he's ready to be neutered. Litter box aggression may cause your girl Lela to start eliminating throughout the living space if she is constantly being attacked. Until you get Lou neutered I would keep them separated while you are at work and can't supervise. Another thing you could try, while you're at home is squirting Lou with a water pistol. If you try this make sure you can aim accurately----do lots of target practice in a separate room without the cats. You need to aim to spray Lou and not Lela. It's best that Lou does not see you spray and thinks it's coming from somewhere else. Lou will then associate that if he goes to the litter box to bother Lela, he gets sprayed.. You definitely don't want to spray Lela by mistake!

·
Registered
Lady Silver Belle The Destroyer, Of Clan Grey Tiger
152 Posts
Cats can be ready to breed as early as four months. I would not wait till 6 months to get Lou neutered.

One thing that will help Lela is to set the litterboxes where Lou cannot corner her. Put them in places that give her as many escape routes as possible. Get rid of the lid. You want to make it difficult for Lou to ambush and trap Lela.

Even if Lou doesn't see where the waterspray comes from, he'll only get sprayed when you're around. Unless he gets waterpsrayed every time he hassles Lela, it won't stop him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts