Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this goes here, sorry. :?

As some of you may know, my boyfriend and I rescued two abandoned feral kittens. They were three days when we found them. Unfortunately we lost the little girl yesterday morning.

The boy is roughly 17 days old, and looking at Ally Cat Allies' kitten progression chart he should start using a litter pan soon(the three kittens they were following started at 20 days, and Tucker has consistently been two days ahead of the chart with all milestones). When should I show it to him the first time? I understand clumping litter is a biiig no-no for kittens(I have it for my adult and didn't realize it was dangerous for her so I will be buying World's Best or something once this batch is gone) but what would be acceptable for him? I have aspen shavings for the lil critters, as well as a fair amount of 100% clay non clumping litter. Would either of these be acceptable? I cannot be spending a lot of money on litter ATM(vet bills coming up and rent is due on the first), so if these are not okay, what is an economical solution?

How should I set the pan up? I have a spare regular sized cat pan, but I feel like the sides would be too high for him. Should I cut them off or use another container or something?

Also, his teeth have started erupting. The little ones in front(incisors I think they are called. :D ). A lot of sites are saying to begin offering milk and watered down canned food in a shallow dish when they start getting their teeth, but he isn't even three weeks old! Seems a little young. :?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I use aluminium lasagne pans for kittens first litter trays, I use OzPet wood pellet litter for adults and kittens.

Aspen shavings I have no idea on, the non clumping clay litter you could use

Kittens usually start using the tray at 3-4 weeks and eating around 4 weeks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. :) Does anybody know about the aspen shavings, though? I am going to try him on formula in a shallow dish in the morning. The problem with the clay is it is at my parent's house, and they cannot come up for another few days or so. :?

·
Registered
383 Posts
For a kitten this age - it is the perfect time to begin the potty trainig. After eating place them near the litterbox - 100% clay litter is great & is cheap. Start off with a small box top or plastic lid from a storage or shoe box. He will go less than a teaspoon at a time. Then with your hand nudge them into the box. Block them from leaving immediately with an open hand or a finger to the forehead. After 1 minute if they don't go on their own - wipe with a warm damp washrag. Just remember he will not remember where the litterbox is until he is older
Ever watch a mama cat potty train? They will treat the kitten like a little soccer ball & bat them back into the box until they get the hint. Kind of like how you treat a toddler, by parking them on the pottychair every couple hours.
Do clean up poo after every use. He may decide to sleep in the litterbox after all you are putting him in there & there must be a reason, right?

·
Banned
602 Posts
When I have had little kittens I use flats like the ones that veggies come in at stores. They are little and easy to step into. You also dont have to use much litter in them so you can throw the whole thing out daily.

Have a great time with your new baby! :cool

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you're getting clay, remember to get the non-clumping kind for your kittens just to be on the safe side. The clumping kind can be a health hazard for them.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Thanks for the input. :) Does anybody know about the aspen shavings, though? I am going to try him on formula in a shallow dish in the morning. The problem with the clay is it is at my parent's house, and they cannot come up for another few days or so. :?
I don't know whether or not the aspen shavings would be safe for cats. To be on the safe side, I'd wait until your parents can bring the clay litter, since it will only be a few days. In addition, you won't want to use the shavings on a permanent basis...and for training purposes, it would be best not to start with them, only to have to switch to clay a few days later. It's better to be consistent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts