Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have desperately been searching for a non clay litter that will be healthier for me and my kitten. (My vet was not much help when I asked her for recommendations) He is currently using SoPhresh clay litter and we both hate it. I tried using grass seed litter but it made him very itchy and he even started eating it. I've heard great things about pine litter and was wondering if anyone could give me some much needed insight. Both of us are prone to respiratory issues and allergies. If he is allergic to grass would he have allergies with pine as well? Has anyone noticed their cat eating the pine litter? Please let me know based on this information if pine litter would be a good option for us. I have also been researching paper pellet litter. Is that a better option? Any other recommendations are welcome as well! Thanks :)

·
Super Moderator
27,174 Posts
I would suggest Abound, but it's a bit expensive and I think you've already tried it. I've used it and it really is less dusty.

Here's some comparison information:

"When comparing paper litter vs pine litter, each type has its advantages and disadvantages. Both are eco-friendly and healthy options for your cat. But wood litter is better at controlling odor, while paper pellet litter makes less of a mess.

In a lot of ways, paper and wood litter — pine, cedar, or mixed varieties — are very similar. We strongly recommend either when compared to clay. But there are a few key differences that may make one preferable to you and your cat.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have been using wood pellets for years now. I get them from the local feed store, the untreated ones. All the cats don’t have any issues with it, the only issue I have is the waste, I empty the box 2 times a day into the garbage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts