Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Freyja (Common European)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon!
This will be my first post on the Cat Forum (excluding the one in Introduction)! I recently adopted my first cat. She is called Freyja and is now 3 months old, she's been living in my house (we're a 3-person household) for almost a month now, and she was the result of an accidental litter by an acquaintance of mine who urged me to adopt her since no one wanted her and she couldn't have her as well.

I have been providing everything she needs, as far as my knowledge goes:
  • Dry food: Acana First Feast; Moist food: Purina Nutrisavour Junior, Purina Cat Chow Kitten, Royal Canin Kitten
  • Lots of toys; toys with strings only with supervision
  • A fountain to provide water, since I have researched on the fact that cats naturally avoid stagnant water
  • A scratching post that she adores
  • Catnip cultivated by me, which she eats sometimes (very rarely)
  • Closed litter box for hygiene and privacy

She also went to the vet, she's 1,500kg and in perfect condition. She received her first vaccines and internal deworming. FIV and FELV tests are already scheduled, as well as external deworming, blood tests for check-up and the remaining vaccines.

What brings me at the moment to this forum is her behaviour. She is, I presume, a very happy kitten, full of energy, she plays a lot, purrs whenever she's near us, she's so curious and eats and drinks plenty of water. At the moment, I need to leave her alone 4 days of the week, for about 4-5 hours max. She tries to escape through the door almost all times, but recently, in addition to that, she's been meowing persistently for 20-30 minutes non-stop everytime I leave the house or she hears any noise in my building. I've been trying to correct this behaviour by dissociating the door with us leaving, trying to open and close it several times a day, making noise with the lock and the keys. However, she keeps meowing, louder and louder. And recently, she sometimes does this even when we're inside the house. Whenever this happens with us inside, I always ignore her, eventually she gives up after 2-3 minutes and then starts meowing after us for another 2-3 minutes. Any idea what I can do to help? Is this normal kitten behaviour?
Also worth noting, when I leave her alone, I always leave plenty of food and water, as well as safe toys, litter box, the radio on, clothes with my scent and a comfy high place by the window. Electrical cords and other potentially problematic objects have all been dealt with. She never showed any resentment once we come home, she's typically waking up from what I presume was a long snooze session, or she's ready to play. I never noticed her in extreme anxiety.

I appreciate any help you can give me, thank you so much!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
How long have you had her? My guess is not very long. she is probably still very much in the difficult transition period that anyone, of any species, goes through when abruptly moved from one environment to another one without it being under their control. Especially if that happens when the individual is still very young. She is just not adapted yet. Give her time and she will be OK.

I do recommend that you don't ever leave her in the other room or ignore her when you are home, though. She needs your attention and soft handling so that she is reassured that you are her person and she is safe with you. the more attention you give to her when she needs it, the faster she will become adapted and comfortable, knowing that you won't leave her forever and she is home. If you ignore her, it only reinforces her fear that this is not a safe haven for her. she's just a baby still, and needs that reassurance.

·
Registered
Freyja (Common European)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you had her? My guess is not very long. she is probably still very much in the difficult transition period that anyone, of any species, goes through when abruptly moved from one environment to another one without it being under their control. Especially if that happens when the individual is still very young. She is just not adapted yet. Give her time and she will be OK.

I do recommend that you don't ever leave her in the other room or ignore her when you are home, though. She needs your attention and soft handling so that she is reassured that you are her person and she is safe with you. the more attention you give to her when she needs it, the faster she will become adapted and comfortable, knowing that you won't leave her forever and she is home. If you ignore her, it only reinforces her fear that this is not a safe haven for her. she's just a baby still, and needs that reassurance.
Thank you for your reply!

I have her for about a month.

I do not, in any circumstances, ignore her when I'm home, neither do my roommates. But I think I might have expressed myself wrongly. I was saying that I ignore her meowing when she's doing it at the door, because I figured that doing so might make her cease doing it, as in "I don't get any attention here at the door, so I will get my attention in the living room or kitchen where my owners play with me regularly". I try to reassure her everyday, I play with her for about 3 hours minimum everyday, and my roommates do their part as well. She snuggles with us almost everyday, and we actually enjoy it very much. She was a ferocious toe biter during the first days home! But she's growing out of it. We pet her a lot as well, and she purrs even when just standing near us. I will then continue to give her as much reassurance as possible!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Whenever this happens with us inside, I always ignore her, eventually she gives up after 2-3 minutes
This is why I suggested that you not ignore her. But I understand your explanation.
My opinion is that it is the same if she is meowing at the door, or anywhere else. In other words, ignoring her under any of those circumstances is probably not going to make her meow less, since she just starts up again.

That doesn't mean you have to become her slave (although most cats would like that very much) and drop everything and play with her whenever she meows. But some kind of acknowledgement might be the thing to do.

It sounds to me as if you are doing things fine with her. she will just need some time, and a whole lot of patience on your part. :)
And, of course, she may turn out just to be a very talkative cat. Let's hope not, but there are some that are like that, and I personally don't know of any way to get a talkative cat to be less so!

Although I'd love to hear it if anyone here has succeeded with that.

·
Registered
Freyja (Common European)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I understand! I shall start acknowledging her in that way, and try not to become her slave! Since everything is very new to me, I'm always afraid that I'm indulging her a lot, or, on the other hand, being too cold.

I'll be patient and give her the time she needs, hopefully she'll be alright soon enough :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hello V. You really are doing a great job making sure your cat has everything she needs! Some cats adapt quickly to new surroundings, but others can take a very long time to get used to all the sights, sounds, and smells in a new home so it may take her a while to settle in.

She may be meowing by the door because when cats see people going in and out of a door... they want out. (Where are you going?! What's out there?! It looks like fun! I want to go too!!!) and it can be a tough thing to break. It's a good idea to ignore the meowing, but she needs to know what you want her to do, so you could reward her with treats, playtime, and praise as soon as she's away from the door and quiet. More specifically, you could have one of your roommates by the door with you on the opposite side of the room, both of you ignore her when she's meowing, then you call her and give her pets. a treat, or play while your roommate goes out the door and back in. Then switch with you by the door and your roommate across the room and your roommate gives her pets, treat, or play. But remember, cats move at the speed of light so make she she doesn't get out.

My cats were terrified of loud noises for months after we got them, especially the Evil Doorbell. So we practiced ringing the doorbell with my roommate outside ringing the bell and me inside with treats, praise, and wand toys (no petting because they were too scared and that made things worse) . Then I gradually stopped treats and went with play and praise, and now when somebody rings the doorbell, I just have to talk to them in a soothing voice and tell them what brave little beasties they are!

I sometimes say that cats are weird, but I'm the one out on the porch ringing the doorbell wondering if my cats are going to answer, so I guess it's all a matter of perspective. 🥴 😸

·
Registered
Freyja (Common European)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your reply and all the tips! She is very curious, everything we do or say, she's right there watching us or listening to us. Which makes me wonder if she thinks exactly as you've said: "I want to go too!! I want to explore!".

Fortunately, I haven't noticed any fear whatsoever concerning noises. We were worried that she might get scared of the vaccum cleaner or the hair dryer, or something, but she doesn't care one bit. On the contrary, she runs to it and watches, utterly fascinated! :ROFLMAO:
I admire your patience and how you tried to correct that reaction! Amazing.

It is a matter of perspective indeed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Fortunately, I haven't noticed any fear whatsoever concerning noises. We were worried that she might get scared of the vaccum cleaner or the hair dryer, or something, but she doesn't care one bit. On the contrary, she runs to it and watches, utterly fascinated! :ROFLMAO:
sounds like a good cat to me. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts