Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the best I can tell Toby is not drinking any water. He's eating almost all canned, is that enough water for him? I have been adding water, almost a 1/4 cup and making his canned serving soupy, of which he still eats it all up (twice a day and a little bit an hour before bed time.) So he may be getting an additional 1/2 cup per day

Sound right or should I not "soup up" his already wet canned food?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I still soup up MowMow's and now Shepherd Book's food. I figure extra water can't hurt and with MowMOw it's kind of a must. When I'm giving MowMow enough water he doesn't drink. I still have the fountain available to them but I never see MowMOw use it and Shepherd Book seems to prefer playing in it than drinking out of it.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Cats get most of their water from their food, that's why wet food is better then kibble.
Some cat's don't like drinking from their bowl and prefer fountains.
My cat like to drink what I'm drinking so I keep a fresh glass of filtered water in a glass for her on the coffee table.
She also like to drink from my glass of low fat milk, she not lactose intolerant and doesn't drink much so I indulge her.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not getting a fountain and I don't want him to learn to beg for the faucet, though he may anyway.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
We have a fountain and my cats drink much more now that we have it. They also drink out of the faucet and I leave out glasses of water for Nutmeg when I go to bed since that is her favorite thing to drink.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Luckily, the girls are voracious drinkers. My nephew's cat, however, drinks very little from the bowl but LOVES the faucet. I know you said you don't want him to learn to beg, but with a kitty that's picky when it comes to drinking running water can make all the difference. I'd think he'd be ok with just the canned food, but if you're really worried, I'd reconsider the fountain/faucet. I also have a friend who uses an airstone to give he water in her cats' bowl some flow.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My only experience with cats is with wild ones so I don't know what the norm should be. Midnight, the wild cat, who currently stays with us, seems to drink infrequently (compared to a dog for example). But when he does drink, he goes on forever, much more so than a dog or a fox, or even a deer. I'm thinking he is part camel! :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Artemisia eats nothing but Wellness canned food.

In the 18 months she's owned me, I think I've seen her drink water, like, three times.

I was worried about this at first, and thought that she didn't like drinking out of a bowl, so I tried using a fountain. She ignored that, too.

The vet says that she's perfectly healthy, so, as other folks have said, I think she's just getting all of the water she needs from her food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts