Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has Russian Blue kittens which are lovely and playful. But I am a bit worried about the female kitten who is still very small and slim and hasn't grown much at about 11 months old unlike her (now much bigger!) brother.

My brother said he hasn't found them to like much wet kitten food and the type they do eat, they don't eat all of it. I've watched and she is very cautious eating it, and leaves some of hers which her brother usually finishes up. But they only seem to like one variety so far (Felix). He also leaves dried food down for them to free-feed, I think it's the variety they had from the breeder so they are used to it, she will eat some of that (prefers it to the wet) slowly. But she's still clearly not eating enough as she isn't growing much and is very light (there's nearly always dried food available so it's not like she isn't being fed enough).

Are some cats just very fussy/slow eaters who aren't really all that crazy about food? What if anything can be done to encourage them to eat more? They both don't seem much into treats either, much preferring toys as a reward over them- it seems strange to me as my cats/kittens I've had always are food mad!

Oh and with the wet food I always find she especially will only eat a little and then scratch the floor around it and leave it. I've read it's an instinctive thing to want to cover it, but it's frustrating to find her leaving the food all the time.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a cat who will try to cover food as you describe - but only if it is a food he dislikes. He'll eat a bite or two, then scratch around, then leave the rest.

I changed the food to something he preferred and I never saw that behaviour. So now I avoid any wet food with liver, as that seemed to be the big "ick" factor. He's not crazy about fish either, preferring chicken or turkey.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a food she dislikes as she actually eats some of it. We've tried other wet food which she doesn't eat any of it at all and then does the scratching thing after! I've only found one wet food she will actually eat some of so far.

Anyone else any ideas/tips? Do some cats just not like wet food, or have to be brought onto it very slowly?

I wouldn't mind if she was eating enough dried, but she clearly isn't going by her lack of growth/weight- so it seems to be more of an eating issue to me as she's choosing not to eat enough dried either even though it's the type she's used to.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
As long as you have had her checked out by a vet (teeth, bloodwork, etc.), that everything's OK, it may be that's just how she is......not a big eater. Was she the runt of the littter? Some runts just continue to stay that way. I have had a few cats like that over many year of cat ownership, and I've had the opposite--"piggy" cats that want to eat all the time, even after having eaten a meal!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't think she is being rushed to eat, as there is only 1 other cat, her brother around. And dried food is available throughout the day, which she does eat (and doesn't seem worried) but not enough of. She is a happy, playful kitten so I don't think it is anything stress related, but yes it's worth feeding her apart from him just to see.

It does seem that either she just chooses not to eat a lot, or it could possibly be a health issue e.g teeth. My brother took them both to vet for their neutering/spaying a few months ago, would they have done any health checks then? He's not one to overly worry about things so think he just feels it's how she is and she's not a big eater. It might be the case, but I'll keep trying new ways to encourage her to eat more when I next visit. And no she's not the runt of the litter, at least when we visited the breeder, the litter was all a very similar size then.

The other possibility is not wanting to eat as much due to heat? It's a high rise apartment so gets hot, a nice size but he's not managed to find any cat window screens yet. He's now bought an AC unit but it's still quite warm in summer months- maybe that could cause her lack of appetite? But then again, dried food is available throughout the evening/night when it's cooler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts