Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Me and my wife are having problems with our kitty, Mr.Waffles. Before i say anything i'll say how did we get him to begin with. Waffles was a kitty found inside a cardboard left to die. Animal shelters and even common people do what they can to save them, but a lot of them end up dead on the streets (we live in another country, this is common practice). Waffles is a lucky one though, he was found by a local pet shop owner that looks around the city for animals, so he can direct them to the shelter or to someone else.

We got him when he was 6 weeks old. Although he had a pretty rough early life he was properly vaccinated and everything before we took him, including vet care. He's a perfectly healthy cat. But now to our issues:

He wont eat his food. Its really hard to feed him, we really dont know whats going on. Hes 7 weeks old and he just wont eat anything we give him, the vet suggested premium food made for a younger age but no matter how tiny the kiblets of food are he will not eat it and be satisfied.

Here is what we've tried with Food:

-by itself
-softned up in warm water/milk
-crunched up to tiny, easier to chew pieces

Out of desperation we gave him wet food.. he ate that no problem, hungrily chowed it down until his tummy poofed out. However around here it is extremely expensive and not a viable option, unless it is for a treat. My wife has had cats since she was a kid and has never seen a cat detest dry food to this extreme.

We also took him to the pet shop/vet, and they looked him over, told us he did gain weight, but his gums looked irritated (not sure if that was their way of selling us another bag of food or what...), needless to say he did not eat the new improved kitten chow any better than the last. The also ruled out illness.

He is also always hungry for our food though, always trying to jump on our plate, over and over until our meal is done. So we're torn about if this is a real issue or a behavior issue.

He spent quite a while on the streets, someone might have tried to give him human food. And even if the pet shop person was taking care of him, its still not his pet. So maybe he wasnt that watchful about his diet with the few days Waffles spent at his house, we dont know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Waffles is a smart kitten...he knows that wet food is much better for him. I recommend that you give him as much as you can afford. If you must get dry into his diet, then maybe mixing some wet food with the kibble to entice him. But don't let it sit out for very long as moistening dry food can cause bacteria to grow.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If canned is really not an option where you live (remember canned is best for kitty)

Then here is another suggestion I learned while my golden started his diet (fat boy was 10lbs over)

Take the dry kibble and grind it up in a food processor or blender until its a powder. Then add really warm tap water to it and mix it like a milk shake.

I did this with my dog. It added a lot of water to his diet and filled him up... I used 1 part dog food to 3 parts water. You can use something smaller if need be.

The kibble powder makes a nice pate when warm water is added and its blended :wink

If need be, you can slowly add less and less water to the mix once he is used to the smell and taste of it.

Its not a perfect solution but it might help fatten him up some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts