Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby kitten, who has been being syringe fed milk replacer just started eating canned cat food. Gave it a bath. Earlier this day it was fine but when it was dried off with a blow dryer after it’s bath about an hour later it was sat on the floor and it immediately fell off it’s feat and couldn’t pick itself up. It tried and tried and tried and just keeps rolling trying to get on its feet but it is unable to stand. When held on its back it leans it’s head back as far as it can and gets stiff. When held normally it goes limp and falls asleep. Please help thank you.

·
Super Moderator
26,834 Posts
He needs to go to an Emergency vet now.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Take the kitten immediately to the vet. If you don't do this immediately, on an emergency basis, the kitty may very well die, as kittens can fail and die very rapidly if something is wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any update? OP info is limited but going from what was said it required medical intervention. There's so much to unpack here though.

Fine before bath. Neuromuscular problems hour after bath.

Googling "kitten seizing" brings up:

The most common cause of a seizure in a cat is toxin exposure. Flea and tick medication, sprays, dips, and shampoos can contain a chemical called pyrethrin that can cause a cat to have a seizure.

Any shampoos / chemicals used on kitten?
How old is the kitten exactly?

Why is the kitten being blow dried? Even blow drying adult cats requires getting them used to it and even a specifically quite model. Wrap kitten in towel. Towel aborbs water. Get fresh dry towel (paper towels also work well), and repeat until towel no longer aborbs access liquid. Keep kitten warm by holding kitten close to body while it is wrapped in fresh dry towel for and also making sure you don't overheat it. Leave kitten to fully dry in warm room.

In case you gave a bath trying to de-flea a kitten - I've found the best way is the manual labor way - use a fine comb. No chemicals. No baths. It's time consuming but it does not hurt the kitten. Get yourself some 90% rubbing alcohol and make a puddle nearby. Drop any fleas into the rubbing alcohol. You can wet the comb with water sligthly so the fleas stick to it. The rubbing alcohol is NOT to put on the kitten. Just to manage the fleas so they aren't jumping back onto the kitten. Goes the same for all cats. I never use chemicals. Haven't given my cat a bath in years. A fine comb and manual labor combined with the cat cleaning itself is fine for most cats.

Doing a bath and chemical free de-fleaing well is labor and time consuming but is well worth it. Due to natural oils on the cat combined with dirt the comb will clog up pretty quickly. A full detailed de-fleaing of the whole body and the comb will need to be cleaned before next use. How do you clean 30 fine prongs covered in oil and dirt? Manually also.

Note: most flea combs for cats SUCK. I'm actually using a comb for dogs that I cut the handle off of. You want one with long fine prongs (or maybe better to say one appropriate for your cat's fur). Just because the package says for cats doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job.

Lastly, sometimes a single instance of a problem is enough to warrant assuming there is a serious problem. Neuromuscular problems would be one of those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts