Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Poor Boomer has so many issues, I don't even know where to start.
We also have a Border Collie puppy, just to set the scene. We got Boomer 3 days before the puppy to make sure he knew where the litter box was. Unfortunately, the whole house is carpeted but we found a private area for his box and put down a mat under it so he wouldn't choose the carpet over the box. First few weeks, everything was fine.

Then I noticed he was chewing off the hair/skin from his back legs, took him in, and the vet found fleas and said he was probably allergic to their saliva or whatever. So, he was put on flea meds and two days later he was losing LOTS of fur/skin, take him back in, he was basically glowing in the dark all over from ringworm. Started sulfate baths and flucomenizole (sp) orally. His 4th/final bath is on Saturday. (And yes, I have ringworm now too)
The final bath was supposed to be on Monday, but they called and said he had lost weight so they weren't going to do it. He's about 3 lbs and lost 4oz. He wasnt eating as much because he was locked in a **** room for 12 days and was sleeping the whole time. But that's a different gripe.
SO.. I was like, I'm tired of him being locked away. So he was let out yesterday AM all day and peed in the catbox. When we got home, we let the puppy out and Boomer went back behind the couch and peed. It was weird because he was crouched down and peeing, usu cats prefer to be sitting up. Anyway, like 30 mins later he climbed up onto our built in shelves and peed straight onto the wood. Clearly he's not discriminating against any texture. So I was like ok, he'll have to sleep in his room again tonight because I'm not going to deal with searching the entire house for cat pee. This AM when I checked on him, he had done all of his pee in the catbox. again? so I let him out and the puppy was out and he almost immediately went to find the *"spot" behind the couch and peed. I picked him up mid-pee but then he just peed all over the place, ha. So I read that you could put down aluminum foil and they wont pee on that... Right after I put it down, he walked over, sniffed it, peed on it. This was 20-30 mins after the first behind the couch pee.*(but not in the same spot as the first two)

So, I'm at a loss. All I can think of is that he got un-used to the puppy, and now he's stressed. We can't put another catbox on the other side of the house because of the floorplan- it would either be in the kitchen or dining room or right next to the couch. Our house is single story, 1550 sq feet, so not huge. I grew up with 4 cats in the house so I'm used to them, but I really am at a loss with what to do. I'm guessing I should have the vet do a urine sample to check for a UTI? But he's doing big/normal sized pees, and he'll use the catbox. Sorry for the long message, but let me know what you think! Also, how can I help to reintegrate him with the puppy in the least stressful way??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(1) How old is he?

(2) What does he eat?
approximately 8 weeks

he's on kitten science diet. We used wet food for his medicine for his URI when we first adopted him, and also for the flucomenizole (sp) but now he wont eat the soft food so we just give him the meds orally. He chows on the SD food.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I think you've got a few problems here.

The litter boxes are too far apart, he's a baby and he needs to be in the same room as his box at that age. Either move his box when he goes into another room, or (for now) set up a small box in each room.

Also, he's very new to your house, that's a lot of stress. Add the stress of dealing with another baby animal and you basically were guaranteed to have some sort of problem. Keep puppy and kitten apart unless you are right there with your eyes glued to them, and anticipate some accidents.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
I only have one litter box for him and he had no problems at all the first three weeks with the puppy. The issue started after he was quarantined for 14 days because of ringworm. The house is not too big for him. Would you put a litter box in your kitchen? If that's the solution then I guess we have a kitten up for adoption. Sorry, but the cat is not a dog and I've grown up with cats- this kitten isn't having accidents because he can't find the box or the house is too big. We'd laugh because sometimes he'd be playing then sprint across the house to his box like he forgot he needed to pee. He's having issues re-acclimating to the puppy and I need help/suggestions on how to reintegrate.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Does the dog do anything before he runs and hides and pees? Like make a beeline for the cat?

Have you thought of trying feliway spary or plugins? Or both? I would also have the cat shut in one room and only slowly introduce them seeing as he seems very frightened of the dog especially since he may still have ringworm! That's the last thing you want around your entire house, you don't want the puppy getting it too. You should thoroughly clean the room he's in once he's over it too. Try scent exchanges, getting the dog scent on clothing and stuff in the room your cat stays in. Make sure to clean the spots the cat had peed on really well with an enzyme cleaner like nature's miracle.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It sounds like for some reason he is either now scared of the puppy or trying to distinguish that the house is his, not the puppy's. I have no idea why he would have a 180 like that, though. I agree with Carmel about the scent exchange, the Nature's Miracle (if he's like my kitten, he'll keep peeing in the spot until you remove the scent) and the Feliway (or I've heard about these calming chews from Pet Naturals of Vermont). It's early to neuter him, but perhaps he'll be calmer after being neutered? You could also describe what's going on to your vet and she what he/she recommends.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the dog do anything before he runs and hides and pees? Like make a beeline for the cat?

Have you thought of trying feliway spary or plugins? Or both? I would also have the cat shut in one room and only slowly introduce them seeing as he seems very frightened of the dog especially since he may still have ringworm! That's the last thing you want around your entire house, you don't want the puppy getting it too. You should thoroughly clean the room he's in once he's over it too. Try scent exchanges, getting the dog scent on clothing and stuff in the room your cat stays in. Make sure to clean the spots the cat had peed on really well with an enzyme cleaner like nature's miracle.
The dog has chased the cat, but pre-quarantine, the kitten would initiate play: would jump off the couch onto the dog, etc. So, Boomer would come streaking through the room and the dog would chase, but it wasn't right after that that the kitten would pee. He would do it when the dog wasn't even within 10 feet of him.

The OTHER weird thing about Boomer: he won't hiss, fuzz up, claw at the dog, or really run away when he's scared/had enough. He literally goes into a slow motion crouch, like he never learned how to defend himself (entirely possible). All the cats we owned growing up would just give any dog a swift whack on the face and that was all the dog needed to know to stay away. Boomer isn't like that, and that worried me from the get-go.

Thank you for the advice; I did just get back from the store with the nature miracle urine stuff and a Feliway. I put it in the room with the couch that he has peed behind, and he just walked up to it to smell the diffuser and (first time ever!) his tail fuzzed up a little bit. Will also try to bring in things that smell like the dog. We are also working with the dog to just ignore/leave the cat alone completely. She's a border collie so a really smart dog and will soon get the hang of leaving boomer alone :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like for some reason he is either now scared of the puppy or trying to distinguish that the house is his, not the puppy's. I have no idea why he would have a 180 like that, though. I agree with Carmel about the scent exchange, the Nature's Miracle (if he's like my kitten, he'll keep peeing in the spot until you remove the scent) and the Feliway (or I've heard about these calming chews from Pet Naturals of Vermont). It's early to neuter him, but perhaps he'll be calmer after being neutered? You could also describe what's going on to your vet and she what he/she recommends.
The stupid SPCA neutered him at 4 weeks old!! he was 1.1 lbs at neutering :( He was chewing off his tattoo when we adopted him... the poor guy really has had an awful start to life.

I am also going to ask my vet tomorrow when I take Boomer in to get his last bath for the ringworm- unfortunately, I don't really like this vet and once the ringworm is treated, I'm going to find a new one.

PS that kitten in your avatar is a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e.!!! I know boomer will be cute when he finally grows his hair back haha

·
Registered
804 Posts
Border collies are supposed to be very smart...just make sure he doesn't try to "herd" the cat. I'm glad the Feliway at least got a reaction out of Boomer. Do you have any idea how long he was with his mother and siblings before you got him? Years ago, my family and I got three kittens from an abandoned mother... the problem was that we got them at 5 weeks (the vet involved said it wouldn't make a difference... how I'd like to give my two cents about that!) and all of them have behavior problems... they don't know how to interact with humans or with other animals. They've mellowed out over time (they're 10 years old now, except the one that one of my cousins took passed away at 7) but they are still not normal. Apparently it's best to leave a kitten with the mom and siblings 8 weeks (people are now recommending 12 weeks) so that they learn kitty "manners."

·
Registered
804 Posts
Aww poor baby!! The SPCA is supposed to help them, not hurt them... I've heard of neutering at 8 weeks now but not before that 0_o my vet is waiting til Bear is 6 months because he had a rough start as well and is very underweight for his age. (He's the kitten in my avatar btw and thanks, he's my little cutie pie!) You'll have to post pictures of Boomer when he's feeling better! Definitely find a vet you are comfortable with, though... unfortunately there are many out there who are too old-school and/or don't know what they're doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He was found behind a gas station- that's all the info we were given. It didn't appear that he had litter mates. Boomer is awesome though- Pre-ringworm, he would run to the door to greet us, purr in our laps, sleep on our necks at night, etc. he's very social and literally non-stop play/purr.

I think you're right though, he doesn't know how to interact with other animals. And the SPCA here is ridiculous. I couldn't believe he was already neutered! Their cut off it 2 mos old but they guessed incorrectly bc my vet did a check up and said he wasn't mor than 5 weeks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh. Boomer still always makes a bee line for the puppy's water dish- weird again because I'm sure it smells like her! They both appear to enjoy stealing each others water. Boomer will continue drinking it even if the dog is standing over him and/or drinking it too.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The water dish issue combined with the peeing outside the box issue makes me think he has a UTI like you wondered before... I'd him in to the vet for a urinalysis. Cats don't usually drink a lot of water, and if they do, it usually means something urinary is wonky.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But when I'm sitting in his room with him he's not excessively consuming water. But I'll def ask the vet his opinion tomorrow!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hmm, strange... I'm not sure why he'd be drinking a ton sometimes and not others. Whatever the issue is, I hope it's easily fixed and that he's feeling better soon. The poor little guy has been through enough!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also forgot to say that when hes in his room, there are no accidents. (will verify that with a backlight on tues though :) ) will update you after the vet tomorrow :)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
approximately 8 weeks

he's on kitten science diet. We used wet food for his medicine for his URI when we first adopted him, and also for the flucomenizole (sp) but now he wont eat the soft food so we just give him the meds orally. He chows on the SD food.
As I'm sure you've noticed most people here feed their cats wet food, or raw. I won't go into it too much because there's tons of information here for you, but I'd highly suggest switching. Wet is WAY better for youyr baby than any dry.

I only have one litter box for him and he had no problems at all the first three weeks with the puppy. The issue started after he was quarantined for 14 days because of ringworm. The house is not too big for him. Would you put a litter box in your kitchen? If that's the solution then I guess we have a kitten up for adoption. Sorry, but the cat is not a dog and I've grown up with cats- this kitten isn't having accidents because he can't find the box or the house is too big. We'd laugh because sometimes he'd be playing then sprint across the house to his box like he forgot he needed to pee. He's having issues re-acclimating to the puppy and I need help/suggestions on how to reintegrate.
When my cats were kittens I did have a litterbox in the kitchen. They needed to have a box nearby to teach them good habits, so that's what I did.

Your boy is just a baby, at this age he's building the habits he'll have for the rest of his life. If you make an effort to help him it will set you up to have a long and happy time with him. If you don't encourage good habits then he may develope bad ones. Look at how many threads are here for peeing problems. Personally, I'd do everything thing I could to prevent them. If that means having a litterbox in my kitchen for a few months I'd do it again in a heart beat.

He isn't a full grown cat, he's an 8 week old kitten who never got to learn good habits from his mum. The reason you're only seeing this setback now could be any number of things, but I'd suggest the most likely is stress from his illness. He also got used to having his box closer to him while he was confined, and it might take a little while for him to readjust to it being farther away.

Also forgot to say that when hes in his room, there are no accidents. (will verify that with a backlight on tues though :) ) will update you after the vet tomorrow :)
That is likely because he's closer to his box. This is another reason I'd suggest adding a few more boxes temporarily.

As far as reintroducing him and the puppy, take it nice and slow. With a border collie I'm sure you've caught on to this, but a tired puppy is a good puppy. So, if you run around and play with the puppy for a bit to get her nice and tired so she'll be on her best behavior when you let Boomer spend some time with her. Feeding them treats together will help, as will encouraging games that don't make them interact directly with each other. Like fetch (or chase the ball) for your puppy, and the laser pointer or wand toy for Boomer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts