Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 12 week old Bengal kitten and we've had her for about a month now. She's fully house trained and shares a litter box with another Bengal cat who is 2 yrs old. There has been no problems at all until recently. The kitten has started peeing our bed and she's done it several times now. We still see her use the litter box regularly though, but when we aren't home, we find a large patch of urine on our mattress. We've cleaned it everytime with cleaner that is specifically for cleaning pet urine but she still does it. We caught her walking around the bed last night scratching it gently and dribbing pee so we know it's not the other cat.

We did move the litter box but it didnt seem to cause any problems until now, which is about 2 weeks after. We know this is has probably contributed to the problem but it doesn't fully explain it. I doubt she's marking territory b/c she's too young right now and if she wanted to do that she would've done it earlier.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to why the kitten is doing this? Cleaning the mattress is a big hassle. My bf has had several cats in this house in the past and never has this happened with any of them.

thx

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Have you had her checked for a urinary infection? I know she's young, but that is often the reason for urinating in other areas. The other possibilities include litter that she doesn't like and litter that isn't quite as clean as she would like it. She was taken from Mom rather young, but if she was litter trained for a month, that's probably not the reason. I wish you good luck.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
In addition to the suggestions given by Jeanie, a good tip is to get another litterbox. Some kitties don't like to share and others prefer to do number 1 and number 2 in different boxes. Go figure :roll:. Has kitty been checked at the vet yet because you first want to rule out any medical issues like a UTI as Jeanie suggested.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's been to the vet already and she's healthy. she just needs to go in to get spayed.

We clean the litter box pretty often and it seems that the kitten doesnt know how to bury her "waste" properly. Instead of digging at the litter she scratches the inside walls of the litter box. (we have a covered litter box) It just seems strange that she would start to have problems with the litter box after living here for a month because everything was fine until just recently.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Has she been to the vet for *this* particular problem? Has she had a urinalysis done? Urinary infections are rare in kittens, but not impossible! I'd be especially concerned about the "dribbling" which is very abnormal. Purebred animals do tend to have more health issues and weaker immune systems. Be sure to discuss all this with your vet.

"Pretty clean" does not cut it for litterboxes, especially the ones with hoods. They hold the odor in quite nicely--nice for you, that is, but not the cat. No, go do this right now--stick your head through the opening into the litterbox and take a deep breath. Don't want to? If you won't do it, why should she?

Definitely you need at least 2 litterboxes for 2 cats, in different places. Try one without a lid. They have to be VERY clean, not just sort of. You might want to try a different litter, too. Scratching at the sides of the box instead of in the litter often indicates that the cat does not like the texture of the litter.

For more info on litterbox problems, we have several articles in our free library at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library.

While you're working on the problem, you might want to invest in a nice vinyl waterproof sheet to protect the mattress. The #1 rule with peeing cat problems is "protect your stuff" -- because otherwise your frustration can damage your relationship with the cat.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
697 Posts
Strange question but have you bought a different duvet cover? My kitten did the same to us when he was about 16 weeks old. Had never done it at all then suddenly wet feet during the night! I had him checked but no infection. It was sheer fluke that I thought about the duvet. I'd bought a new big squidgy cover and the first nihg on he peed it. I threw it all into the machine then just put it back ont the bed. This continued for several days till I wasn't able to get it dry one day so put an older duvet cover on. Hey presto! No more wet feet. He seemed to want to dig on the bif soft cover . Maybe felt like a place to go :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts