Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A female 8 month old kitten. We've had her for a while. But these past 2 months she's been peeing on everything. First she started peeing on my bed, then my moms (and she has a really expensive mattress type thing) twice, and then clothes, and my dads blankets. She only pees on clothes and stuff.

We keep her litter box clean. I don't put anything in it. We feed her a really good "high" quality brand. And she is dewormed. And I know she doesnt have worms still, because her poo is fine.

I moved her little box downstairs and always keep the door open because my room was starting to smell and our house is kinda small - so the smell lingers. And once in a while she doesnt cover her poo. And we bought one of those boxes with the cover and flaps too. At night my dad told me she has to sleep down there though since her litter box is there, because he sleeps in the living room and doesnt like her walking around freely (He hates cats, which is SO stupid)

My mom is so mad at her. And she was already mad from before becasue theres holes in our couch from her and scratches (I clip her nails, but someone she still manages to scratch it when she plays and hops everywhere).

I have been gone though, lately. I don't get home until 3pm sometimes 4. And leave the house at 8:30 am. Maybe she's stressed because I don't give her a lot of attention now. And since she's been peeing on everything my mom wont let me keep her out. The basement is really big though, so she has enough room to run around and play. And she has a cat tree.

Oh and whats the difference between spraying and peeing? The smell/color?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Is she spayed? If she's been spayed it's not likely spraying. If she's not then she may be coming into her first heat and needs to be spayed ASAP.

If she's spayed then imo, she needs to see a vet to rule out urinary issues. If she's got a UTI and it's not addressed she's going to be in pain and associates the litterbox with it hurting to potty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same problem with my cat and i took her to vet to check for a UTI but she didnt end up having that but it worth checking. Ive heard that might associate the litter box with pain when they have UTI and won't go in it. With her it ended up being that she hated dirty litter box and i have multiple cat so i ended up adding a few litter boxes and it seemed to help but i gotta keep on it because she is extremly picky about it. My friend had a cat that pooped in one and peed in another i dont know why that cat was just really picky, so she had to put multiple ones to satisfy her cat. Ive also heard if you change your litter that can happen too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is she spayed? If she's been spayed it's not likely spraying. If she's not then she may be coming into her first heat and needs to be spayed ASAP.

If she's spayed then imo, she needs to see a vet to rule out urinary issues. If she's got a UTI and it's not addressed she's going to be in pain and associates the litterbox with it hurting to potty.
She isn't spayed.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I'm going to say that's your problem. I'm no expert but your looking at this happening whenever she's in heat and imo, it may become a learned behavior.

Is there a reason you haven't spayed her yet?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Spaying can also help reduce complications with her reproductive organs later in life. Ovarian cancer and stuff like that, I believe. You can look it up. So this peeing problem isn't the only thing it will help. :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
We keep her litter box clean. I don't put anything in it. We feed her a really good "high" quality brand. And she is dewormed. And I know she doesnt have worms still, because her poo is fine.

Oh and whats the difference between spraying and peeing? The smell/color?
clean to you and clean to the cat may be two different things. litter and litter box are two of the biggest answers, besides ruling out a UTI so take her to the vet. and get her spayed. just don't count on that completely ending it because people kept telling me that would end it with my kitten and it didn't. i worked it out, but it took TWO YEARS hahahaha. (he just wanted a litter box by my bed.)

spraying is what male cats do. they back up to a wall or anything available and their tail shakes a little. they remain in a normal standing position and just spray urine. peeing, or puddling, is what most girl cats do, they squat to do it. except it isn't only female--that was how my male cat was doing it. he'd just cop a squat on my bed.

as far as i know, it's all about the same color and it smells the same: awful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts