Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first couple of months after Jim and I first adopted Skeeter, he would cuddle with us all the time. And I mean ALL THE TIME. We are gone a lot because we're both full-time students and we work as well, so when we are home, we are sure to spend as much time as possible with the little guy. These past couple of weeks, though, Skeeter doesn't cuddle hardly at all, doesn't purr as much, doesn't nuzzle as much...
I was wondering if this is because it's getting close to the time when we need to have him neutered. He's about 4 and 1/2 months old. We are taking him in in 2 weeks to have the operation done. Will he have his cuddles back after that?
Or maybe he's restless all the time because he is left home alone so often. When we do have to be gone, we leave the blinds open so he can watch the birds and squirrels and we leave the radio on with his toys out for him. But, could he be realizing over time that he's lonely when we leave him alone? Could he be MAD AT US for leaving him alone?
I just miss how sweet he used to be. I hope those cuddles come back. I don't know why he changed! :cry:

Edit: Of course, as soon as I finished typing this, Skeeter nuzzled my face and curled up in my lap! Geez. :) Little smarty-pants.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Don't think he's mad

I don't think he's mad at you. His hormones could be making his personality a little strange right now. Also, you need to be mindful that he may be ill. My cats who like to cuddle tend to go away from me when they aren't feeling well. Does he look like he's feeling OK, eating, drinking, playing? When he's sleeping does he look peaceful or sleeping on top of his feet instead of on his side? Cats personalities and preferences tend to change from time to time. I have some who cuddle sometime and other times just prefer to be alone. If you think he's not well, get him to the vet before the 2 weeks for his neuter.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lotocats, thanks for your reply. I think Skeeter just needed some full-on attention from us. Yesterday, his new toys came in the mail: a laser pointer and an excersise mouse. He absolutely LOVED the laser pointer and we played with it on and off for the rest of the evening. He got all worn out and cuddled with us all night long, whereas he usually goes off and does his own thing until about 5 in the morning. So, I think--since Jim and I have been so busy--the little guy was just feeling anxious and neglected. But, we got PLENTY of cuddles yesterday. I guess I just needed to let go of my own anxiety and concentrate on making Skeeter happy. All's well again and he's ready for play-time, so I better go! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts