Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Im getting a brand new kitten, shiny out of the womb sometime around August/September. (not literally right out of the womb, will be 8 weeks old before coming home) Said kitten isn't born yet (due at the beginning on July) So Im trying to plan everything NOW instead of waiting. (For the curious ones I'm getting one of these <~~ Click the linky)

Now, Sebastian and Kyra both enjoy playing with the cats. Sebastian more than Kyra. And while it is fine with Tobay, obviously when the new one arrives he (will be getting a male) will obviously be much smaller than Tobay. Nero usually walks off or jumps on something high when play is initiated.

At night all animals with the exception of maybe Nero (very happy and friendly towards new kittens/cats) will be locked out of the room. During the day when noone is home for supervision, all animals including Nero will be locked out of the room.

During the day there will be supervised interaction, but I do admit to being apprehensive about the dogs. Not Kyra necesarially, her version of play is tail nibbles and tugs. But Sebastian likes to romp and tumble with the cats. on one hand obviously I dont want him doing that with the new boy, but I don't want him to think playing with cats is evil and taboo, as its not and Tobay loves playing with him.

So how would you handle Sebastian's interaction with the new kitten?

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Animals instinctively know what babies are and are careful not to play too rough.
I think Sebastian will probably pleasantly surprise you with how gentle he will be with the kitten.
Obviously you'll still want to keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Well, they shouldn't be allowed to spend time together unsupervised until the kitten is old enough to hold his own against the dog.

I would put the dog on a down/stay and make him stay that way while the kitten is around until the baby gets big enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts