Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably getting my new kitten on Monday (oh my god, how did this happen so fast?) and I'm running around trying to make sure I have proofed my apartment. I live in a studio so I could confine her to the bathroom, but with such a small space, is a safe room really necessary?

I also have a small knife block on my kitchen counter. It's pretty far back, but I have horrible visions of her discovering it. I'm completely blind, so while I'm pretty sure I'll be aware every time she gets up on the counters, I'd rather play it safe. Do you recommend moving it?

Along those same lines, I am definitely planning to keep her in my bathroom with toys, litterbox, etc. for the first few weeks when I'm out. I have limited cupboard space, so I have a set of those plastic drawers where I keep bathroom stuff, washcloths, etc. Will this be really tempting for a cat? My hair straightener also lives on top of these drawers in a basket. I know electrical chords are exciting, but since it will obviously be unplugged with the chord wrapped around the straightener, will she ignore it? I'd like both animal and straightener to exist in harmony.

I think those are my most neurotic questions ;) Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Under your special situation, it seems like you're doing things right. Yes. If you can find a place for the knife block, move it for your own peace of mind; plus which cats do a lot of wandering in the night so you can't always know if she's up on the counter.

Cats don't ignore anything much, but my solution is to show and let them smell everything. A kitten/cat can be such a wonderful companion. I hope all goes well for the two of you.

·
Banned
873 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
If you're in a small place, you don't really need to use a safe room, given that you have no other pets and on the assumption you've kitten proofed as best you can. My daughter lived in a bachelor apartment. When she adopted her kitten, Neko, she didn't bother with a safe room (her only alternative would have been the bathroom, like you). Neko hid under her bed for the first couple of hours, but he then ventured out and never looked back!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read another thread of yours where the subject of kittens getting "underfoot" was mentioned....that would be a real concern for me, I think.

Any particular reason you're set on a kitten?
Is there any reason I shouldn't get a kitten? I find this question slightly offensive.

Thanks for the replies. I mostly posted this thread for my own peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
I think maybe because they can get into smaller places, they tend to be more inquisitive, more bratty (speaking from experience). I'm sure no offense was meant. There are lots of members HERE that don't want kittens for those same reasons. They take more patience, you have to watch them more, etc.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
You'll do fine. A collar with a bell will keep you from stepping on or tripping over kitty when it dashes in front of you. My monster does that and he doesn't have the excuse of being a silly kitten. Then he has the nerve to howl like it's my fault when I trip over him by accident.

I'm not sure what you're worried about with the knife block. Are you worried the cat will knock it over? Aren't knife blocks big heavy wooden stands that knives slide into? I can't imagine a kitten or even a full grown cat messing with it. I have one on my counter that holds 7 knives and I don't think I've ever seen MowMow even look at it.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
There are lots of members HERE that don't want kittens for those same reasons. They take more patience, you have to watch them more, etc.
Truth. MowMow is my first cat and I thought about a kitten but decided since I didn't know what I was doing I had better get an adult cat who could train me properly. Little did I know......

·
Registered
802 Posts
Besides getting in trouble, kittens always get adopted first because they are cute, but cats need homes just as much. Adopting a cat might save it from being in line for euthanasia.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
Truth. MowMow is my first cat and I thought about a kitten but decided since I didn't know what I was doing I had better get an adult cat who could train me properly. Little did I know......
:grin:

And my twins are still bratz and still getting in trouble! They've never outgrown being kittens. Good thing they're adorable, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts