Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine took in a 3 week old kitten, orphaned, she found her in an apple orchard.

Anyway, I am most likely taking this little gal home in about 2 weeks, and I have a few questions!

Will she still need KMR?(she will be 5 weeks)

What kind of food do I feed her(I cannot afford to feed raw to 2 cats, so dry and canned recommendations would be nice!)?

How in the world do I introduce her to nibbles?! He's not too territorial and we have a fairly large house, I will add a second feeding area and another litter box though.

Should I isolate her from nibbles for a little while?

How old should I get her spayed? Nibbler is neutered, and I will not have an un spayed kitty in my house, unless it would kill her or something.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
When I was raising kittens I started them on canned food at 4 1/2 weeks. Then I made a canned milk, water, egg yolk, and white Karo formula and mixed it with kitten kibble. Soon, that baby will be "stealing" adult food. That's when I stopped soaking their kitten chow, but I continued to give them formula in a separate dish for 2 months. There are lots of precise kitten formula recipes on Google. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats kitten chow?

Any ideas on when I can start him with some dry? Nibbles only gets canned, he's had urinary issues in the past so only canned for nibs.

The little gal's name is calypso!! I was thinking go or now dry food, and weruva, wellness, holistic select, or merrick canned.

The dry food must be grain free, and go/now is pretty cheap, its $4.99 for a pound. I might feed that, or totw(what I feed my dog).

Arggg! I was not knowledgable when I raised nibbles, I really want to do this right!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
It would be better if you fed her canned food as well. Cat chow is dry food/kibbles that are smaller in size and usually higher in protein and fat than for an adult cat. Any of the brands of dry kibble that you mentioned are good grain-free food--no wheat, corn, soy, rice. My cats eat Wellness canned and a little Evo Innova dry food, and so far they're thriving and have never been sick (6 y.o.). At 5 wks she will be interested in eating canned food.

Calypso should be spayed at 4 mos.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She will be eating canned food as well!! Don't worry!

I know a fairabit about canned foods, not much at all about dry!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I've never cared for a kitten that young, so I can't speak to the feeding issues. But, you also asked about spaying. Your kitten can be spayed once she reaches 2 months and weighs at least 2 lbs, and the recovery time will normally be quicker the earlier she is spayed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts