Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**DISCLAIMER: Asking about a 9 week old kitten who is growing fast, eating hard kitten kibble like there is no tomorrow, and is very very very very active. No issues, good weight, gaining steadily. Wet food is the only caveat.**

I know it's suggested to use wet food over dry. I like principals and reasons behind it, and I give about 50/50 for my older kitten who's about 5.5 months old. My new 9 wk old though? Won't touch the stuff. Not a bit. Won't go NEAR it.

1) Should I cut out dry food for a day or two while I'm at home to see if Gandolf with eat the wet food so he gets used to it?

2) Any suggestions on what wet foods to try? I use Authority (petsmart brand, really decent with ingrediants and not ultra pricey), and don't know if I should try a different wet food to get him started then mix with Authority until he's ON Authority fully?

3) Would feeding partially raw diet with some wet/dry cat food work to help him get on wet food too? He SCARFED the steak he got earlier, and even stole the rest of Smudge's steak that he didn't eat (had just chowed down on canned right before the treat). Thinking that might help it be more palatable, but I don't know if that will work.

Authority kitten only has two flavors in wet food - chicken/liver and chicken/lamb. Smudge loves wet food no matter what it looks like normally, although there was one Friskies gravy type he hated and woudn't touch without mixing in a well-loved flavor with it. (not using that anymore after research about what's healthy and what's NOT). Would maybe trying some of the ADULT flavors of the brand work, as long as it's not the staple of the diet?

Thanks for any opinions and assistance in getting this cat to eat healthy stuffs. ;)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Since he is a kitten, NO I wouldn't suggest cutting out any food. Later on when he is older if he still won't eat the wet, then you can cut out food to entice him to eat wet, but at this point, I would not do it.

You said in another post that you also feed Simply Nourish sometimes? Why not try their wet? It smells amazing and is actual chicken strips, so maybe the texture will remind him of the steak and get him to eat it.

Go ahead and try as many brands as you like, But I would stay away from Friskies, Fancy Feast and 9 Lives if you can because they are flavored to taste good and that can make kitties pickier about what foods they will eat.

You can also visit catinfo.org for more information. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you tried mixing a little of the wet food into his dry food? Otherwise, if he is eating, let it be. There is a lot of discussion about what food is best, but the best food for your cat really is the one he will eat! I don't think you have to worry. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! :) I've tried the three types we already had in the house on him so far. I go shopping this afternoon for more, so I'll try the SN wet food and a couple others that are *heathier* (in comparison... Orriginally started Smudge on Friskies until I read the lable!)

I have tried the wet food with the dry sprinkled on top then pressed in so he had to eat SOME wet to get to the dry. I've only ever withheld the dry food overnight only and tried fresh wet in the morning for 15-20 minutes before putting the dry down for him. No luck so far. Nadda.

If they will continue to eat kibble, at least I have a fair substitute in case of power outage when/if I go raw. Gandolf will eat raw any time I give it so far! ;)

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Be careful mixing wet and dry cat food. You don't want to leave that down for any extended length of time. Dry food goes off fast once it is wet and is a breeding ground for bacteria.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If he is eating steak then yes try all the raw food you can and make notes on what he likes. I'm assuming the steak was cow meat? If so start with beef based canned foods and raw. If that does not work you can try adding stuff to the canned food like bonito flakes, paramsen cheese, cat nip, cat treats that he likes or the steak. You can try putting the steak he loves on the same plate as a small bit of soft food but keep them separate. If he eats the steak he will have the scent of the soft as he eats. It may help him associate it as food. You can try this with dry and soft as well. You can try changing the consistency of the canned to a more soupy mixture, or make it thicker buy adding the steak or other food he eats. You can blend it up in a blender or as some people on here have suggested to me, in the magic bullet thing. Sometimes it's a texture thing for them. If he liked the steak then maybe try chunky style canned foods. My female will only eat pate style. You can also try adding just a teeny bit of canned to the steak mixture, or try dipping the steak in the soft and see what he does with that.

I think trying different varieties of canned of food is a great idea. Just make sure you track on what he likes and dislikes. I've literally tried over 50 different canned varieties in an attempt to get my super picky female to eat non fish basd canned foods. It's still a work in progress. Once you find something he will eat you can work off that.

If you free feed the dry kibble and have the time, stop free feeding and feed 2-3 meals a day. A kitten will require more meals then an adult. Remove the dry kibble right out of the house. Kibble is addictive to cats. If you try this approach you could let him go hungry a few extra hours and leave out only soft food. You never want to let an adult cat go more then 24 hours without food, I don't think it would be wise to let a kitten go more then 12 hours without food, possibly less. I was too scared to go more then 16 hours with my male cat. Hopefully hunger motivates him to eat the canned, if not keep trying other varieties and combinations. Another thing you could try is dabbing a bit of the soft food on his paw. He will try to flick it off so you may have to add a bit of water to make it less thick. Cats hate being "dirty" so he will lick it off eventually.

I had the same struggle with my male. He was born in my home and would never eat it. I tried here and there but not hard enough and I gave up all too easily. Something I will always regret. My older female has been getting soft every day for the past 2 years so canned food was always out. He never touched it and she ended up eating his uneaten portions. I lost him a month ago today to a series of urinary blocks and a failed surgery. It's really important male cats have moisture rich foods in their diets. It's good for all cats but males are especially vulnerable to urinary blocks, something that requires emergency intervention. Mr Man was 1.5 years old and I was heartbroken. I tried really hard after his first block to convert him to eating soft food but was unsuccessful. I will always regret not trying harder. Don't give up, keep trying while he is young.

If he likes steak your off to a better start then I was. I would try introducing raw food first and see how that goes. Good luck and good on you for trying to work this out while he is still young.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts