Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just adopted a 10 week old kitten from the local shelter on June 1. He is an absolute joy most of the time. In the past month that I have had him he is starting to be very energitic. Most of this is common except for the constant attacks he does on my cairn terrier and me. He likes to jump on things out of surpise and then bite them. Last night was the worst one yet. He snuck in the bedroom around 1am and decided to jump on Maxwell (cairn terrier). I saw this before it happened and I pushed him with my hand to prevent this. Well he flew back at me 4 more times only this time not in play but with anger. His ears were back, his eyes were dialated and finally the 4th time I took a claw in the arm that was so deep he just hung there. I grabbed him by the scruff with my left hand while the claw stayed in my right arm just to get him in control and remove him from my bedroom. What in the world causes this? Plus, I have never had a cat with claws so this is scaring me a bit and I am worried for Maxwell's eyes. Any suggestions? Is he teething? Why so sweet one minute and angry the next? Everytime I say no to him or correct him out comes this attitude. HELP!!!
Melanie

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am sorry poor doggie is submitted to the little rascal's energetic attitude.
You need to engage several sessions of playtime thoughout the day in order to burn out your kitten's energy. Use little balls for him to chase, strings with feathers attached at the end and laser pointer (beware not to upset his eyes with the latter). Never play with your hands because that will invite him to hunt them ferociosly - you must always have something between you and him - a toy, string. Whenver you see destructive behaviour pick your kitty up and place him where the toys are : that will be the *playground*. Start playing immediately and praise him for catching the balls, feather - give him treats for behaving well and talk in an affectionate manner to him. It will work out - you want him to realize that fun takes place at the *playground* and when he acts in a certain manner *hint hint* he gets goodies and lots of love - therefore it's happy time!
Is he being aggressive towards your doggie? In this case you might need to re-introduce them to one another. Dr. Jean's link will be of great help. I recommend reading it thouroughly and following the instructions
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions
Do come back and let us know how it goes - we learn from each other's experiences
Make sure you post some pictures including the doggie ..because we love them woofies too :mrgreen:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice....

I will certainly read the link and take note. Last night went pretty well as Oliver finally left Maxwell alone. He did storm through the house until at least 3 am before I noticed a bit of silence, got worried and then ended up waking him up to start all over again.haha I will try harder on the playtime before bed to see if that tires him a bit.

Here is a pic of the 2 rascals together:

Thanks!
Melanie

PS: I tried to enlarge the photo but it keeps coming out the same size. You can view my individual photos under my folder ladybug7.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I picked up a tip somewhere (perhaps on here, even ... ) about letting out a high-pitched "yowl" when a kitten bites or scratches you too hard. Apparently, this is the noise kittens make to each other when playing, to show they've gone too far.

I've done this consistently with my kitten Linus (9 weeks), and he is now very gentle with my hands (my previous war-wounds are still healing, though :lol: ) I think the key is consistency, though - you have to do it EVERY time the kitten's bite or scratch is even just a tiny bit too hard.

·
Super Moderator
26,626 Posts
You should definitely trim his nails. Try to catch him when he's asleep or take him to a groomer. They're like little razors! 8O

·
Registered
36 Posts
marie73 said:
You should definitely trim his nails. Try to catch him when he's asleep or take him to a groomer. They're like little razors! 8O
Yes, indeed. Years ago one of my buddies found this out as he exited the shower, crouched down to pick up something from the floor, and one of his girlfriend's kittens discovered her new play toys.

I shudder every time he relays that story to me.

·
Premium Member
18,390 Posts
Hey....just an FYI....this thread is almost 4 years old...

·
Super Moderator
26,626 Posts
I hate when that happens. :oops:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Doh! I'm so sorry ... I must have been browsing old threads & spacked out :oops:

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
Ya, I wonder, too. When these golden oldies get replayed, I often wonder how they turned out. Far too often, people come in and post about their problem and then never come back to tell us how it all turned out. We can't learn if our advice was any good if we don't know how it turned out. Plus, there's the desire for "closure." People just don't like to be left hanging; they don't like not knowing. Unfortunately, that's life. :)

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Yes....two recent stories come to mind - that cat that was hiding in someone's apartment ceiling crawl space - what ever happened? Was he ever lured down?

And the pending adoption of that poor sweet Persian who was being rehabilitated after being stuck in a cage in a garage for months due to owner ill health... did that adoption go through? It sounded like he was a sweetie, going into a wonderful home situation...

I hope we hear someday...! Fran

1 - 13 of 13 Posts