Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new kitten Nori has been mostly using her litter box fine, but we have had her home for a week now and she has pooped twice and peed once in the same spot in our shower.

Her poo is normal in the litter box, but in the shower it's a bit softer and today I found a small piece of red mucous.

I have a vet appointment for tuesday anyway, for a check-up, and I'll ask them about it there. Could this be caused by stress because of my male cat Watson? I don't think he blocks her from using her litter box, but I have noticed him peeing in both boxes. But she will still use it most of the time, there's just random times where she goes in the shower ... at least it's a place that's easy to clean!

She doesn't seem to have other problems, she runs around and plays and eats fine and likes to cuddle.

Any thoughts? Thanks :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm just guessing but I bet it's stress. My 11 year old always has firm poop. He got locked in my bedroom one day and had an accident. It was just a pile of goo. The next time was firm again. So I think the stress of having to go to the bathroom where he knows he isn't suppose to caused the soft poop.
The other cat might be stressing him out.
Mark

·
Registered
709 Posts
Red mucous is blood. So something is irritating her bowel. What kind of food does she eat? I have two IBD kitties who had this all the time, so poop-talk is my forte. Haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is eating Premium Edge (dry) food for kittens. But, my male 10 month old cat eats Science Diet dry food, which she highly prefers and tries to steal whenever she can. I'm hoping to switch them both soon since I have heard that Science Diet isn't good. Is it okay to have them both on the same food even if she's 3 months old and he's 10 months old? She likes to copy him and eat what he has.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Have you considered a switch to an all life stages food? Orijen, Innova EVO, etc.

Also, she may just have a very sensitive tummy! If possible, I would suggest a switch to wet food only. That helped a LOT with my IBD kitties (dry food tends to irritate the bowels much more because of the lack of moisture).

Good brands are anything with no grain/carbs.. but if you're tight on money, ANY canned food (without FISH!) is better than the most expensive dry food. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe this was obvious and you've already done it, but have you wormed her? Hookworms will cause bloody poo in kittens and cats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have slip-resistant stickers on the floor of your tub? We had a cat that would sporadically do the same thing and, after much experimenting, it turned out that it was the stickers that gave him the "ok" to take care of business.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it could be stress but it's obviously best to rule out something more serious first. We have gone through a year of poo problems with Kitty (who is a 15 year old Cat) and after xrays and ultrasounds, blood and urine tests, switching to different foods, and several rounds of antibiotics etc. we (the vet and I) are at the conclusion that it is stress related. She just went on anti anxiety medication a week ago and her poo has been firm with no blood for the past 3 days in a row (hurray!) and she does not seem stressed about going poo anymore either! Sometimes when cats have diarrhea they strain to push it all out which can cause the bloodiness. It can also be something much more serious of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts