Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello we have adopted a kitten 1 month ago from a friend of a friend. She had informed me when I went to pick it up this litter was a nervous one. It took her 3 days to find the cat so I could take it home. She didn't and we still don't know if its male or female. We have had the cat since Sept 1st and its scared and always hiding. It only comes out at night. The first 2 weeks it wouldn't eat. Finally it started to eat only at night though. It didn't use a litter box either it has used my couch ,recliner, and. Bathroom floor MD bath mat. It has Finally started using litter box but sometimes poops out of box sometimes poops in it. It will let me pet it. But it always looks scared. It hasn't had shots . I talk to the cat I try to make comfortable areas. It used to meow all night but has stopped that. I have had cats all my life my last 2 passing 3 years ago. I am at a loss here on what to do? If you try to pick it up it bolts.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You are making progress. I inherited a cat from a dear friend who died. It took months to really get her act together and be comfy - and she had been a beloved house pet all her life, not a semi feral like yours.

Very sorry about the litterbox issues, that's such a bummer.

Does the cat have a small space that is safe, or the whole run of the house?

I'd say continue with patience, and ASAP get the little thing spayed/neutered. You really don't want to deal with an adult unfixed cat who is not yet fully tamed!

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I suggest that you block off any places the cat can hide, such as under furniture. Keep it confined to a small room, such as a bathroom with its litter box, water, etc. Do not leave down food for it....feed it "meals" morning, lunch (if you're home, otherwise leave down some food) and evening. S/he will become more friendly if you are bringing the food to her......spend time with her, just sitting on the floor nearby. Try to encourage play by dragging a cord around in a snake-like way and drag it over your lap. Get a wand toy to play with her as well. Buy or borrow a large dog crate, and set it up in your living room or where you spend the most time with its own litter box and confine her in it so she's forced to become familiar with all the household sounds, talking, music, whatever. Give her some treats from time to time, talk softly to her and stroke her gently on the head or back....most cats like their cheeks and chin scratched---or just above the tail...find her favorite spots. When she is consistently using her litter box, and is starting to enjoy your touch and becoming friendlier, then let her out of the crate or bathroom for some "free time" in the living room with you. Good luck, and all the best!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both Thank you for the advice. I have had her she in a crate for a couple of weeks. I do have a toy and sit and play and I also pet. At this point I am more concerned about getting him or her fixed as he or she is about 4 months old now. I do talk and Interact. I couldn't probably make a spot in my spare room . Like I said I have had cats all my life and never had this issue. If I do leave food out during the day it does not get touched. It will only get touched when all lights are out and we are in bed lol and that when he or she is active lol. Literally as soon as we shut the lights/tv. I will keep trying

1 - 4 of 4 Posts