Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riot used to love chicken, beef, pork and fish. He will not touch it anymore. He MAY pick at the beef. But when I offer it, he smells it and walks away. I am at loss. I have tried warming it up (in warm water), sprinkling an assortment of sprinkles on it (liver and chicken sprinkle). I have tried leaving him in a room with it. I have tried everything. I am at loss on what to do. Hes not sick because if he was he wouldnt of inhaled the venison from the dogs bowl this morning.

What am I not doing right? I really dont wish to put him on canned or kibble.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The similar situation happened to me too!!!!! But I decided to have stronger will than my cats then I kinda succeed over them. LOL I simply put out the food, leave it, tell them "eat or not hurry enough, I don't have any junk food at home." Until next meal time, change to another fresh one. (I wasted quite a few)

I also bought fortie flora to entice them to eat but it just helped very little for my boy while my girl totally buys it.

Over about two weeks, my boy kinda surrendered. He got to eat although not enthusiastically. He also lost some weight (5KG -> 4.6KG) but is being stable on this weight so at the moment I am not very worried even though I really want him to be at 5KG.

Now both my cats will finish about 5 oz of my homemade food by grazing on it until next meal time. (Yea, they eat my food with great reluctance...) So now this routine has been set now.

Hope my experience help. :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a 14 week old kitten who should be fed 3-4 times daily. Hes acting normal otherwise from what I have noticed. He does have the runs tho. I am about to give up, I was really hoping to have a cat I could raw feed but I dunno if it will work out now. I just dont understand how one minute he loves chicken, the next he hates it..makes no sense.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Have you tried adding a probiotic to the food such as Holistic Select - Digestive Aid - Holistic Transition? Mine love that stuff plus it may help with the runny stools.

Has he been tested for worms? If Riot has a stomach full of worms I can't blame him for not eating. It would make less room in the stomach, even if it were a few worms, so he would feel less hungry.

This may sound silly, but have you tried differant types of plates and bowls? We had a Jersey calf a while ago who would NOT drink milk out of a pink bucket, it had to be a blue bucket. Sure, she wasn't a cat, but maybe some cats are the same way.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Other things, do you play with him before feeding him? Normally, a cat would have to work to get it's food, so maybe having him playing a game of chase before eating would help.

Any reason you don't want to feed him venison? If thats something he is willing to eat you could possibly trick him into eating other meat by soaking the meat for a while in the venison juice/blood that you get when you defrost meat.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me to get a 2 pound venison steak would cost me darn near $30. This was given to me free for my dog and it was the last steak. I never get hunter scraps sadly. I am so fed up with him not wanting to eat. He will sniff it, then go about his day. He will play with the food but will never eat it. Fish..he will eat. Beef..sometimes he will eat beef.

I am ready to give up. I am going to try putting it out and taking it up for 24 hours. Its not me starving him, its him choosing not to eat. See how that goes. Yes hes been wormed.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It sounds like your cat chooses not to eat raw.
You say he has diarrhea.
I would be worried about him and compromise.
Feed him something healthy he'll eat.
Yeah, I have to agree with this advice. Especially if he has the runs. Maybe he's just got a sensitive stomach and can't handle raw as well as some cats. Every cat is different. Just like people, some will be unable to tolerate foods that are supposed to be healthy for them.

I'd say at this point it's better that he eat something he can handle, even if it's not what you'd prefer to feed him. Go with some kind of high-quality canned food, and maybe supplement with a little raw if he seems willing to eat some? And if the diarrhea continues for a while after you switch his diet, then it could be something else is going on. His tummy may be upset for some other reason, causing him to be less inclined to eat.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I think your kitten needs to be seen by a vet first and foremost. Sometimes we just need to put all the questions aside, stop trying to reason things out, and let the professionals figure out what's wrong.

After you've done that, if the kitten still won't eat, and you are determined to feed raw, forcing him to eat won't work. TRUST me, I have the biggest diva of all diva's living in my house. Her and I have battled her finicky behaviors for years now, and she "has my number" as my husband would say. I'll give you some of the things that have worked best for me.

Patches loves kibble. Period. She's a dry food junky. She also loves her rabbit, but if it smells even the smallest bit different from batch to batch, she will refuse, and she won't give in. I thought I was stubborn! LOL! I will put her back on her kibble, but I put a bit of her favorite fish oil on the side, and mix a small amount of raw rabbit in the oil. Smother it. I gradually increase the amount of rabbit with each feeding, and decrease the oil. It usually takes a week to get her back on track. NOTE: Not all fish oils are the same, and alot of kitties can't handle the fish oil. I'm using a very high quality oil, and not had an issue with runny poop if I stay under a certain amount per day. Cheaper oils have other chemicals and such in, they aren't as refined, so if you go this route, use only a tiny amount, and watch carefully. You could also try tuna water or just the tuna I would think.

I've also used parmesan cheese with success, kitties love it, though I will say, for Patches, it's only worked with canned food, and never with raw. Your's might like it.

What I do now when Patches has issues with a new batch of rabbit, is mix it like normal, pull it to the side in a pile. Then I put in 4 pieces of her dry kibble. With Patches I know it's a smell issue, and for some reason the kibble helps her to get past the difference in smell between the old batch, and the new batch. I'll do this for a day or so, and then she's fine.........till next batch! LOL!

I'm not a vet, so these are only my opinions.

First and foremost, feed the kitten something it will eat, and then please get the kitten seen by a vet, then start over. In my research about finicky cats, ADULT cats need to eat at least a minimum of every 18 hours between meals.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Riot may not have worms, but may have giardia or coccidiosis. Both these conditions can cause diarrhea. Take a fresh stool sample to your vet for analysis.
Coccidia (Coccidiosis) in Cats: A Cause of Diarrhea

With a growing kitten it is better to feed food that he will eat. If it's kibble he wants, give him a good quality grain-free kibble (e.g. Evo Ancestral, Nature's Variety) and/or a good grain-free canned food. At his early growing stage it's more important that he's eating well, than not. You can tinker with his diet when he is older. Some cats don't like raw, mine don't even tho I've tried them on it from time to time.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To feed this cat a high quality canned food would cost me $75 a month. I will not feed kibble. To feed raw it would cost me $20 a month. So, if he goes on canned its not the high quality stuff. I have already stated in another thread of mine hes been to a vet and been dewormed etc. He used to love eating it...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You haven't stated that he was checked for parasites though (as in catlovers post above your last one), which is really what needs to be done, especially if he is off his food. A kitten can go downhill pretty fast if he gets sick.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already had the cat checked. I know what I had done to my cat at the vet :)

Anyway I seared the chicken and added a tiny bit of parmasan cheese and hes eating..including bone. So, I will sear it less and less. I think the runs are due from not having bone for a few days.

Not sure if hes eating because its seared or because theres cheese on it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There's probably some acceptable middle-ground you can find. Maybe not feed him the highest quality canned every day. Just feed him a good middle-of-the-road canned and intersperse it with higher quality canned, or what straight meats he can tolerate? Obviously him eating something is more important than him eating the most perfect diet ever, and more important than being budget-conservative if you can afford it.

Did the vet have any suggestions regarding his diarrhea? You may need to have him tested for additional parasites if you haven't already. The standard dewormers they're given don't always take care of things like giardia. He may have to be given something more specific like Flagyl.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats what the vet gave him. Flagyl. I dont want to give up on raw yet. The vet blamed it on raw and told me that diet will eventually kill my cat and handed me a bag of Royal Canin. He ate the chicken just now with some bone. I am going to try to sear it less and less. If by the time I get paid he isnt eating raw the way he should I will put him back on canned.

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
I'm trying to make sense of the information provided but it doesn't follow...

You said the you went to the vet for an exam, booster and deworming. That the vet administered the dewormer and refused to give you any other information about his condition.

Your posts indicate that the diarrhea and change in eating didn't start until after the vet visit. So why would the vet give Flagyl...which is an antibiotic, not a dewormer? No where in your posts about the vet visit do you mention having a stool sample examined...so he could have coccidia or giardia.

Unless I missed posts about a second vet visit, it sounds like this kitten needs a full exam, including stool sample to find out what's going on.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Because I didnt feel like I had to post saying I brought him to another vet. I am well aware flagyl isnt a dewormer...I dont use this forum to update every single aspect of what I do with Riot. I use this forum for advice, had the question of been asked I would of said I brought him to another vet :)

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
I use this forum for advice, had the question of been asked I would of said I brought him to another vet :)
Imo, it makes it much harder for the more experianced people on the forum to give advice if only partial information is provided.

I'm glad you found another vet. Riot has been neutered then? What did the new vet say about his condition?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No hes hasnt been fixed yet, this vet will not do it until he turns 6 months. He blamed the condition on raw. Told me to switch to kibble and the problem will be cured. Tonight I notice hes been pooping out bright read blood mixed in with mucousy stuff. So, I am going to call him back tm and get another dose of the flagyl to give him as the vet only gave him one dose as he had to order more in. Hes acting normal otherwise I think he either has giardia or an intestinal irritation from bone or from the runs.

I shall see what the vet thinks tm. I will tell him hes on kibble as I refuse to give up on raw just yet.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts