Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is kind of weird, but I'm having an issue with my kitten sucking on his own private parts when he is held. He is about 4 months old and when ever I hold him or pick him up, he instantly wants to suck his "area". He only does it if he's being held, never in any other instances. He will do it for up to like 20 minutes if I let him, and he kneads at the same time. I can tell its a soothing thing for him.

I read somewhere that this can happen if the kitten is weaned off their mom to early in life, which might be the case. There's no rash or infection, it's purely a behavioral thing.

Any advice on how to get him to stop? I'd love to be able to snuggle up with my cat without him doing that.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Oh dear. I hear you loud and clear. My Blackie does not do quite the same thing, but his "making biscuits" is accompanied by sexual movements. (When he was new to me I considered renaming him "Jeffrey Epstein"!)

Things are improving somewhat, as I won't let him "hump" my arm/hand/foot/leg. When he gets into that position I push him down into a more "kitten nursing" pose and so far he does stay there making biscuits and purring.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wonder if you gave him a bottle and let him nurse some? Not sure but it’s an idea. We had one little rescue kitten that always tried to nurse off our male adult cat. He loved it because he loves his belly being rubbed! I think your kittens behavior could cause skin issues or UTIs or something if it’s allowed to continue. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
During many years of cat ownership, I've had a few "suckers". These were kittens that were not weaned early or had any reason to suck on something other than they just liked to do it. One of my girls sucked on another cat's teats who didn't object to the sucking and kneading on her tummy. At present one of my Devon Rex has been a sucker since I got him at 3 mos of age.....he was not weaned early either. Rather than sucking on another cat's teat he sucks on one of his own! He only does it in my lap, not hubby's, and purrs and kneads at the same time. Just a habit he has. I don't encourage or discourage him from doing it as it isn't doing any harm that I can see and he's over 4yrs. old now. Never had one suck on his private parts tho.....if it's not doing any harm (such as leading to a urinary infection), I would just ignore it and let him be. He may grow out of it or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts