Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hope you can help me with this one. I got a kitten about 3 months ago, he is 5 months old now. He loves living indoor with my partner and myself. Two days ago, my partner bought a jack russell puppy 9 weeks of age and my kitten (polo) has been very territorial and keeps bopping and attacking the puppy. The puppy is still very young and smaller in size than Polo and can not defend himself. It is very hard for us to separate them all the time. We've tried introducing them slowly but Polo just wants to attack the puppy. When we take them to the park, Polo is less inclined to attack him though. Please help. How can these two live in harmony together?

·
Registered
12 Posts
What a charming photograph of your kitten!

For starters, it would be a good idea to keep Polo's nails clipped, if you are not already doing this. That will help prevent injury to the pup. Is there a chance that what you are seeing is play behavior? Play between young animals can look pretty aggressive. If you determine that there is real aggression afoot, it might be time to discipline Polo for engaging in rough play. I have found a squirt/spray bottle filled with water to be effective. Accompany the spray with a firm "NO bite!" or some other phrase. My cat Yoda knows "No bite!" and "Get OFF" (the dining room table!)

I hope that your pair will soon learn to play together as satisfactorily as mine-- Yoda (OSH) and Winston (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) love playing chase games together.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I just had to say Polo was such a cute name. My old dog used to be named that and I have never thought of it as a kitty name too. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts